1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking career change advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, Oct 9, 2011.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Jumped to news two years ago. Once you get the pace of the thing, it's all downhill. The skills for sports and news are largely the same, especially if you've been in sports long enough to hit legal issues and personal troubles among coaches and players - which I am assuming that an sid would have to dive into as much as a newspaper reporter - then you probably have the tools you need.

As was said before, you could't get an offer unless someone thought you could do the job.

2. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I assume you went to journalism school, not sports journalism school. You can do the news-side job. The subject matter may not be as interesting to you, and you might have to write about stuff you don't have a comfortable knowledge of (but really, how different is that from having to cover your first field hockey/fencing/rodeo/whatever?). But the transition won't be as difficult as you think.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Also if you can give me the contact person for the job you'll be leaving, that'd be great! I have my resume ready to go.

Meanwhile, what you are questioning is normal. Evey current job has reasons to stay, mainly because your comfortable and fear the unknown and future, like selling the house and not knowing how you'll fit in the new job. This is normal and everyone faces it, some to a bigger extent. Don't let the unknown and being content stop you from making a better decision.
    Good luck.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

this...enjoy :)

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The housing market isn't doing that great anyplace, so unless you're dead set on not moving until you know you can make loads of profit on your home, then I'd just figure out what job you want, and how much it may, or may not, mean to your wife (or not) to live near her family, and I'd base the decision on that.

Right now, it (literally) doesn't pay to base other decisions on what you'd make (or not) on your house.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can always freelance. Actually, don't do that and enjoy your time at home.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

In this job market, you thank your lucky stars you have an offer for anything AND TAKE IT.

Draft saved Draft deleted