1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking anniversary travel ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Dec 13, 2010.

1. You have to get to the west coast of Ireland, particularly in the southwest - much of Ireland's old charm still exists there. Keep in mind though that what looks like a short drive on the map can take hours on old Ireland roads

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, we plan to skip most of the north and northeastern coasts to ensure we hit the west and southwest coasts. A guy in my unit, while stationed in Germany, made the loop a couple of times and has given me several ideas on where to stop and what to see. I trust his advice on most topics, and I'm sure my old college buddy -- a Texan who went to school at Ole Miss and now tends bar in Belfast (nice combo, I guess -- will have plenty of tips, too.

The guy in my unit said he made the trip around the island, more specifically the west and southern coasts, in two days. We're planning on three, maybe four days to see as much as we can.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

See, I found the opposite to be true. I though it would take hours to get from Dublin to Shannon, but it wasn't too bad of a drive.

Though, travelling on roads built wide enough for only one car and are supposed to hold two makes for interesting travel.

For the purposes of this thread, maybe Valencia, Spain? It's somewhere I've always wanted to check out. But if you have the FF miles to do it in style, just throw a dart at the map and go there. Could make a hell of an adventure.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You can get certified faster and cheaper there than you can here on the mainland. And if not the free diving is still great.
    And sitting on the beach is great.
    Ocean kayaking, jellyfish lakes, rock islands, Smoked Meat of Cake.

Palau is really cool.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I've always wanted to hang out in Iceland for a bit.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, they told me all about it -- A month after I got certified and took my first diving trip. I was quite jealous.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I second previous suggestions for Rome and Istanbul - - assuming you are not going in July/August when both cities will be HOT.

Both cities are full of history, art, a culture different from that in the US and GREAT food. I have been to both cities multiple times and have always had a wonderful time.

Toss a coin here...

Draft saved Draft deleted