1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking anniversary travel ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Dec 13, 2010.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

Egypt is outstanding...assuming you and your wife aren't high-maintenance travelers.

Don't limit the trip to the Giza pyramids though (also because Cairo is filthy and you probably don't want to spend more than two days there, max). The Valley of the Kings is a must, as is an overnight felucca on the Nile. Abu Simbel and a little beach hotel on the Sinai aren't bad either.

You probably want to find a small tour with a local guide (who can explain the local culture, customs, and get you inside a Mosque).

If you love ancient history -- and if Rome is on your short list then I'm guessing that's the case -- then Egypt will blow you away.

Another idea: Cinque Terre in Italy. Fly to Milan, take the train, and stay in one of the five villages on the jagged cliffs and hike between them. It's incredibly gorgeous and romantic.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you only have a week, but I highly recommend Thailand. Beautiful beaches, few problems with the language barrier very inexpensive once you're there.

3. South Africa or Kenya are high on my list -- they say Cape Town is one of the most beautiful places on earth - its less history, more wildlife and natural beauty, though

Rome is great, but more than three days / nights there might be over-doing it. Definitely add another part of Italy to any itinerary there. Depending on when you are going, Amalfi Coast is pretty spectacular when weather is decent.

4. bigpern23

I've always wanted to do a week in Kenya and a week in the Seychelles (off the east coast of the continent). That's my next major vacation, I think.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Seychelles is a great destination for swimming with/watching whale sharks.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If we ever set up an SJ travel bureau, I want Buck in charge.

7. bigpern23

Oh come on, Seychelles was my idea! :D

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My friends did a two-week liveaboard to Palau and were blown away, but I don't know how it is if you're not divers.

I've only heard very good things about South Africa as well. How about a safari? Australia is super high on my bucket list. My brother and sister-in-law raved about their time in Italy. In fact, everyone who has been has raved about Italy.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Are you looking for hiking/outdoor adventure type stuff? I only ask because you mentioned it's your 30th anniversary and you may be looking for more low-key stuff (I'm NOT calling you old).

I've had two friends take their R&R from Afghanistan in New Zealand and both were ecstatic about it. Lots of opportunities to hike, dive, snorkel, ride horses on the beach, etc.

If you're into a more traditional vacation, my favorite so far has been to fly into Rome, spend two to three days there and then rent a car and just drive. Some friends and I put a ton of miles on a car, just riding backroads, staying in small hotels and b&b type places. I was way too young to really enjoy it, but I will definitely go back someday, and take Mrs. t_b_f (my trip was while I was in Europe working for Uncle Sam).

We're doing that with Ireland when I return from Afghanistan. Flying into Dublin, with two days there, three in Belfast with an old college buddy, and four to drive the island before leaving.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In no order: Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Rome, Rio, Patagonia, Istanbul.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Qatar -- especially if you can go in the summer.

I hear it's lovely.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Spain is wonderful.

I didn't get enough time in Barceloa -- hours only.

But San Sebastion is beautiful, on the water, and the tapas is the most glorious thing I've ever seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted