1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking anniversary travel ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Dec 13, 2010.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I should probably know better than to ask this group, but I'm forging full-spead ideas and looking for travel destination suggestions.

Mrs. Tri and I will be married 30 years next year and I figure it's not too early to make plans. I have enough frequent flyer miles to go first class, which makes no place off limits if you're worried about flying 12 or 15 hours in coach; that's not gonna happen. We've already been to all the great cities of North America (except Montreal and Vancouver, but we could do either of those in a year not as momentous) and London, Paris, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Vienna, Germany, Honolulu, Maui, Cancun, Cozumel, the Bahamas and Bermuda, so all those can be ruled out.

The three sites high on my list, for no particular reasons, are Rome, Australia and the pyramids. Australia just seems like it's too far away unless you're going for two weeks or more. Don't know how safe we'd feel in that part of the Middle East. I've always wanted to have my passport stamped somewhere in Russia, but I don't think there's a chance in hell the wife will be gung-ho over Kiev.

I'm open to suggestions; fire away. Thanks.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Mediterranean cruise.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Palau, it's fantastic.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Go see the White Nights in Saint Petersburg.

And Kiev really is beautiful, too . . . but it's not in Russia. The good news is, you do not need a visa to visit Ukraine. You do need one (at about $195 apiece) to visit Russia.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not done yet. I still have armies in the Ukraine.

6. BTExpress

"Well, the Ukraine girls really knock me out." --- Paul McCartney

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

St. Petersburg is one of the world's most beautiful cities, but travel there by foreign tourists is very strictly regulated by the government as a racket for tourism services. You can't get into the Hermitage on your own, for example.
    How about Barcelona? Great city, great food, and considering the country's in a financial crisis, prices should be reasonable.

8. BTExpress

Of course you can. They are just strict about foreigners trying to enter on Russian cut-rate tickets (museum cost is $3 for Russian citizens and $12 for foreigners . . . but students of all nationalities get in free).

Of course they "recommend" using one of the high-priced tour organizations. After all, they are a bunch of greedy capitalists.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

The easiest way to see St. Petersburg is on a Scandinavian cruise that stays in port there overnight. Take your time at the Hermitage. If she's interested in ballet, and you're willing to tolerate it, make sure you go when the Kirov is in town.

On the other hand, if she shares your love of the ponies, go see the pyramids and take a side trip to Dubai.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My vote would be for Italy -- see if you can add Venice and/or Florence on to your trip.

Prague and St. Petersburg would also be on the list.

Prague is really quaint. St. Petersburg is beautiful. Lots of stuff for a tourist to do. I went in December, but I'd take BTE's advice & go in the summer.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I went to the ballet at the Kirov. It was spectacular. I just walked up and bought a ticket.

I'm no ballet fan, but to see it there, in that building and environment was perfect.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Rome is absolutely wonderful.

Unless you go to other places in Egypt, skip the pyramids. They were a huge letdown.

When do you plan to travel?

SE Asia is awesome, too and fairly cheap if money might be an issue. Food in Lao and Thailand ... mmm... And the scenery is gorgeous.

I personally would love to go to Croatia, but what are y'all's interests?

Draft saved Draft deleted