1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking an answer from a few of you

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Earlier this year, I was released from my former employer and have found out that since then, they have talked shit about me to former collegues and those I covered. Since then, I have found a much better job with less headaches and hassles. However, I remain friendly with the publisher but had and continue to have issues with the editor of my former shop. I am thinking of writing a letter to this person. Would you do it?

2. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Nope.

You're in a better situation now. Continuing to focus on your old shop and the status of your relationship with the editor there will only take time and focus away from your efforts at your new shop.

The only reason you should bring it up - and if you do so, do it face-to-face or over the phone - is if they're talking shit to subjects that you're still going to be covering. If you're now with a competitor in the same market area, or if you're at the national level and simply shifted to another shop while covering the same beat, you might want to address it.

People can talk all they want. It's up to the listener to decide whether or not to buy into it.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What's the relationship like between the ex-Publisher and former editor?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Short answer: No.

Folo question: When you say, "they have talked shit about me to former collegues and those I covered," who are they, exactly?

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Let it go.

I was in a similar situation, though I quit. It ate at me for months, even when I knew others that had half my talent were talking shit about me.

I realized I can't do anything to change what they think or say, and if I fight back I'm just taking myself down to their level.

It's almost always people who are self-conscience and can only make themselves feel better by putting you down. It's more a sign of flattery if they're that little and petty.

There are two types of people in this world/business: those who know you and respect you, and those who don't know you and talk trash about you, pretending to know you. They're just not worth it.

At some point you just have to let it go.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

the hell with them.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

At least half the folks to whom you are being bad-mouthed think your former editor is the one who is the jerk. The fact he would do that is like wearing a sign that announces he is a scumbag.

You win this one.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Yep. No need to get sucked into that swamp. Leave it be. And the hell with them.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Agreed. Someone gets to be the bigger person. Let it be you.

10. Agreed. The best revenge is living well. By doing your current job well, you lay to rest any negative talk. The people who know you and your work will recognize an agenda when they see/hear it.

11. What you will find is that the badmouthing will reflected more on the former sports editor than it will on you. The people who know you, who you worked with and who you covered have their own opinions and to hear someone else knock you will only strenghten their feelings about you and lessen their feelings about the person doing the bad-mouthing. I wouldn't spend any time around the former sports editor but I wouldn't waste time getting into a pissing match with a skunk.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I pretty much agree with everybody about leaving it alone, with this counterthought. If "talking shit" means talking to other people who are in the business in a manner where it could get to prospective future employers and be damaging, then it's a little more complicated than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted