1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Dec 18, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I've been dealing with the Gestapo in my little apartment community for the past 18 months. It all began when they took my gas grill, noting that the lease says that things can't be outside of the apartments. The lease, I should note, was more than 25 pages long.

There have been frequent confrontations via phone. One time, they lost my water bill payment and then threatened to evict me the following month. People hate living here so much that they're constantly moving people in and out. Case in point, there was one family that moved out last week. There are two families moving in today. And that's just in my little 12-unit section. One of the apartments being filled has been vacant for months. They dropped Christmas cards at doors without personalizing them and even delivered them to vacant apartments.

A short list of other issues: the dishwasher wasn't connected when we moved in, you have to tug on most of the doors to get them to close and they squeak when you open or shut them because the doors are crooked, the hoses to the washing machine were reversed, causing all sorts of clothing to shrink until my wife made the connection about four months after we moved in. I could go on for days and days.

But I just want some advice with one little issue. As some might have read, my bank returned a rent check two weeks ago because it didn't look like my wife's signature and because the check number was out of sequence.

So, jumping ahead, the bank sent me an e-mail explaining the matter. I sent a copy of it to the apartment folks. Today, I receive a letter explaining that it's company policy to "not allow the redeposit of a check returned for any reason." I was boiling mad when I read this, but it was just the first blow. Apparently, they say that we have to pay for a cashier's check and must include an additional $155 in late charges and that we only have 24 hours to do this.

Now, I can move somewhere else. That's not a problem. But I was planning to shop for a house next month. So I don't really want to move twice. But I'm also not going to pay these people $155, and I know they're not going to budge because they're a bunch of imbeciles, 25-year-old GED types who think they're launching business careers by signing people to overpriced leases.

Part of me wants to get in the last shot, perhaps a chin shot to the assistant manager who sent me this missive, or maybe turn the local press on their asses and make myself out to be the victim of a shitty bank and the Scrooge-like apartment folks.

Any good advice?

2. boots

boots New Member

First of all, if your bank made the mistake, they should pay the late penalty. It sounds like your check was in order, just some asswipe didn't make the payment because of the signature.
    Once you make the payment, find a way out of your hell hole as soon as possible.
    What's so difficult about this scenario?

3. HeinekenMan

Buck, they won't even accept the rent check without the extra $155. They're fun like that. So I think I'll just take my rent money and use it to pay the deposit on a rental home. I've found several that are cheaper than this place and with more space. That'll help me save a few thousand to buying a home. So, they'll get a surprise when a moving truck pulls up at the end of the month. My father-in-law and brother-in-law will be in town, too. They'll be staying with us for a week, so that'll give us plenty of packing and moving time.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just pay what you owe them, nothing more. Make them pursue whatever nonsensical fee they want. But don't even discuss it further. Just give them the check for what you owe and let them decide if they are going to do the reasonable thing and cash it. If they sue--which they won't--my guess is that you can walk into court with the letter from the bank and you will win.

When I used to rent-- this was NYC, which is the asshole landlord capital of the world--I had lots of friends who had problems with landlords. Because they just want to pay their rent and live in peace, most people get freaked out over stuff like this and lose a lot of sleep. What many people I know have learned, though, is that you have the ultimate leverage. You're already in the place. And here, at least, legally it takes a lot to get someone out of a place.

Let's say you don't do what they're asking? You give them another check (no cashier's check) and just pay the rent you owe without the ridiculous fee. What are they going to do? What recourse do they have?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Make a copy of the check. Put everything in writing with a note--a copy of the letter from your bank and a letter from you saying, "here is the rent I owe you." Keep copies of everything. Send it all registered mail. If they don't cash the check, it's not your fault. You made every effort to pay your rent and you can prove it.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Before you leave, slash their tires, put sugar in their gas tanks and beat the dogshit out of one of them.
    Oh, wait, that was angry me. I'm trying to be nicer and less angry. Please disregard.

7. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I agree with Big Ragu. Just pay them the rent you owe and move on. They clearly do not understand anything about running a apartment complex. I would suggest you not do anything to get revenge other then moving out. I would spread the word about how bad things are run and make it know you do not appreciate being treated this way but do not go over the line with your complents just stick to the facts as you have explained them. I also highly doubt they would take you to court over a $155 fee for being late given it was your banks fault not yours.

8. HeinekenMan

I already know they're not going to accept a check unless I include the late fees. I once paid a few days late, and they pulled this deal on me where they wouldn't cash the thing because I didn't add on the $50 late fee.

But I'll calmly walk to the office tomorrow and urge them to either cash the check that they still have in hand or accept a new one. Maybe I should just record the conversation.

In any case, I just found a three-bedroom, two-bath place in the next town that is $200 cheaper per month. If they refuse, there's not much I can do at that point other than to give the people with this home for rent a call. And I'm actually hoping that they refuse, because the new place is next to a golf course. Perhaps I should dust off my irons while I'm packing.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, that and reinforce the windows. My approach shots aren't always as accurate as they should be. :D

Seriously, what Ragu said. These people are weasels ...

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If they refuse to take your check, go to the office, leave the check and a letter from the bank on their desk and walk out.

Make sure you have copies of everything.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

walk into the office and tell them they have 2 options:

-accept the check for monthly lease amount and deal with the $155 at a later date
    -or take nothing

If they're as cheap as you say.....they'll take your check. And if not, good for you. It's very, very difficult to evict tenants...and if you really wanted to bust balls, you'd live there for months....just pissing them off.

But...move out. Why live in a place that causes stress?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

If this place has been so bad for the past 18 months, why the fuck are you still there?

Draft saved Draft deleted