1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking advice: Marriage proposal locations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Percy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Percy

Percy New Member

Hello all,

Long-time reader/occasional poster who's going incognito for an interesting topic. This summer, I plan to propose to my long-time girlfriend, which is something we've discussed for a while now.

We went to college together, and I got a job in the area out of college but her career took her two hours away to Ohio. Early last year, I moved even further away and took a job in Michigan, and now we're four hours apart.

Recently, she's been exploring the possibility of a job transfer to the company office closest to me. She never considered it before because I didn't live there. We won't find out until mid-April, at the earliest, if they approve the transfer.

Ideally, during our annual summer vacation together, I would propose to her. I want to do so at a memorable location; I always considered the pyramids, because we're both intrigued by ancient Egyptian culture, but that's not a wise move at this point given the political upheaval (twice we've postponed a planned trip).

But in case the transfer doesn't go through, I want to schedule a place that's not as special as well. Essentially, I want to go on something like the third-best vacation possible, because the second-best would be the fallback and the first-best would presumably be Egypt. I want something that would be memorable, but something that would still be enjoyable if the proposal can't happen.

London was the good standby, but she was just there two years ago and doesn't have high interest in going back. Rome and Venice were choice two, but alas, she went there last year. Beaches are not an option, as she's not that kind of girl.

This was long-winded, but I hope it provides clarity. Now, if any of you can, that would be splendid (and I know the "Don't do it!" posts are coming. I'm prepared).

Thanks for everything. You all are the best, and I hope you can come through again.

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

If you like hiking and stuff, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. You can hike down into the Kilauea Iki Caldera and propose to her on the floor of an active volcano.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I had planned to propose to my wife on a starry night on our vacation to Hawaii, perhaps on a beach, perhaps while trekking up mountainous paths. Something idyllic, romantic, perfect.

I bought the ring but the jewelry store suggested I use a "brass and glass" model which was otherwise identical to take on the trip with me. That way, it wouldn't set off any alarms at airports and was far less risky to lose.

I took the brass and glass to work and kept it in my desk. On my last day before going on vacation, I made sure to take it out and put it on my desk. All my co-workers knew my plan and were thrilled for me.

My girlfriend got off school early and decided to come pay me a visit and drop something off. I can't remember what. But anyways, she gets to my desk and we start chatting.

"Uh, honey, what's that?"

Yep, I forgot to hide the ring.

I proposed right then and there, in the back corner of a newsroom, with the smell of ink and the humming of the press on the other side of the wall.

Was it perfect? Hell no! But she said yes, and that's all that mattered.

And Hawaii - as you might expect - was still fabulous.

Moral of the story? It doesn't matter how or when you do it. It's just the beginning. If you keep waiting for the perfect place, you're missing the point.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have literally done that. Moment was amazing. Everything after? Ehhhhhhhhhh, not so much.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She's in Ohio? What could be more romantic than the shores of Lake Erie in Cleveland?

Seriously, I think ideally a "spot" for a proposal would be someplace special to you -- first place you went on a date, special place you go for trips, etc.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but the one thing to consider when proposing on an elaborate overseas trip is, what if she says no? That will take the starch out of Big Ben.

Good luck, Percival.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I agree with Ace; it has to be some place special to both of you. A local watering hole you both frequent, your favorite restaurant where you share a favorite meal, etc.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If you insist on marriage...

Paris. Top of the Eiffel Tower. I saw a proposal go down there when I was visiting in 2010 and it lived up to the hype. They have champagne at a bar at the top for afterwards and the view is -- literally -- breathtaking.

Take the elevator. Purchase your tickets online in advance (make sure you get the ticket to the mid level and top or you'll have an extra line to wait in) and pick a time around twilight so it will be just getting dark when you get to the top. Arrive at the tower an hour or so before your elevator ticket time to do some people/gypsie watching. Good luck.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah that wasn't pessimistic at all. :D

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The most elaborate proposals I know of were all followed by the worst marriages and divorces imaginable. All bling, no heart.

You went to college together? Go back to where it all started, some bar or landmark. Simple and meaningful. The location is meaningless compared to what you'll say to her.....that's what she'll remember.

Good luck!

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The first date my wife & I were supposed to go on was a Sunday brunch at a nice restaurant in New York City around the corner from where she was living at the time (Sarabeth's for those that know the Upper West Side)

The place didn't take brunch reservations and when we got there it was an hour wait for a table, so we wound up going elsewhere. We never made it back there while we were dating.

One night 4-1/2 months later, I made a dinner reservation at that restaurant and proposed. Figured the site of what was going to be our first date was a romantic enough spot.

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Universal Studios when Jaws pops out of the water.

Draft saved Draft deleted