1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking Advice: Dealing with foolishness coming back from vacation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvershadow1981, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wondered about that. I'm guessing second-string.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Solid idea. Then you can see if the Ad guy's motivation is little more than making sure his kid's name gets in the paper.

With the way the industry is right now, he's probably not making enough money selling ads, so he figures his kid will get a college scholarship if he writes about him all the time.

3. One more update:

Talked to the publisher, he said that we could run an editorial note saying that this guy is the father of team A's quarterback with each story. The matter of convenience that he will be at all the of games is why we're doing it. The best I can do is act as sports editor and just edit the stories to the best of my ability.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh boy. Hope Jr. Ad Guy isn't a four-sport athlete.

5. I hope so too. I can't help but think that something foul is going on, but it wouldn't surprise me.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

It sounds like this new ad guy calling the shots is trying to make a great first impression on how football-coverage-savvy he is, when in fact he's taking a big leap without looking (or consulting). Good luck to him.

By the way, if stringer budget to cover the other three teams is turned down, insist on this guy sitting in on Friday nights and tracking down two of the three other coaches so he can interview them and feed quotes and details to you (yuk, yuk).

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Ad Guy can sell ads with the coverage, good for him.

Still, he should not be covering games his son is playing in. But it's right that you guys will have a disclaimer.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What a buttkissing piece of crap he is.
    Good luck dealing with him covering teams he has bias towards. He's a football parent getting to write and your publisher sees no problem?? Wow.

9. This Ad guy is a budding Bob Jelenic.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I look forward to reading the game stories.......

Podunk outlasts LocalU 21-17
    By ROGER PARENT

PODUNK--The Podunk High Panthers, led by my son Steve Parent, defeated LocalU 21-17. Podunk running back Marcus JaMarcus had 322 yards on the ground and scored all three touchdowns, but it was the arm of my son Steve that led the locals to victory.
    Steve finished 1-of-2 for 10 yards, all coming on the first drive, but the throws were clean, tight spirals and they were so good that coach Richard Christie made special note of them in his postgame speech to the team.
    "JaMarcus had a great game, he was unstoppable," Christie said. "Oh, you wanted me to talk about Steve? Steve was OK."
    Christie said next week's game, against rival Percyville, will likely be decided on my son's ability to find the open receiver.
    "Well, Steve is a good quarterback," Christie said. "We'd like to see him compete all the passes he attempts but we'll probably be focusing more on the running game than anything else. I mean, sure, if they stop JaMarcus and we have to pass, we'll do it."
    See? See that? Steve is awesome.
    The end.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Does this new ad guy know the deadline pressure he's going to be under?

You can just see this happen after week one. His son's team wins and he goes out with the team for food and forgets to get you the story.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't forget to forward all complaint phone calls and all the whiny e-mails about the stories that Ad Guy writes to him directly.

See if he can really take the pressure of being a sportswriter, or if he folds the first time a parent on his son's team complains that he didn't put in the offensive linemen's names because they deserve coverage, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted