1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Section size

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Willie-Butch, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

When I interviewed for a job on the best newspaper I've worked on, I was at lunch with the SE and his deputy. The deputy, who was overall the best deskman I've seen, said, "Managing isn't just about people, you have to manage the resources, the space, just as well." And they did, they wasted nothing -- people or space. Just an incredibly efficient operation. There was a lot of journalism talent on that staff, but what allowed them to be as good as they were was extremely skilled management of manpower, budget and newshole, plus a knack for recruiting people who could handle that kind of workload and that kind of environment.

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

20K, six-day AM daily (no Saturday edition)
    Close to two major D-I schools, but none of the four major (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) pro teams

Monday: 4 (six during NFL season)
    Tuesday: 4 (six during prep football season)
    Wednesday: 6 (NASCAR syndicated page)
    Thursday: 6 (At least one full page of youth/rec/outdoors)
    Friday: 6 (sometimes drops to 4 in summer depending on ads)
    Sunday: 8-10 (occasionally 12)

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Of course, the day after one of the tightest Monday papers we've seen – for a Sunday when we had a College World Series game – we have one of the biggest Tuesday papers I've seen this year and not a damned thing going on of importance.

4. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

The best is when they hand you one of those 10 page beauties on a Wednesday in the middle of the summer and they only put one tiny ad on page 6. If you are lucky, it's the week of the British Open or Wimbledon. If you aren't, you get stuck running a shitload of baseball and overblowing the Tour de France.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

60k daily&Sunday (can't remember the exact circ. figures)

Monday - 8 pages
    Tues-Sat. - 7 pages
    Sun. - 12 pages

6. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

Here in Greensboro (90K daily, 110K or thereabouts Sunday)

Monday-Friday: 30-36 cols over 6 pages
    Saturday: 40-42 cols over 7 or 8 pages
    Sunday: 50 cols over 10 pages

Those are summer sizes. I expect (or hope, at least) they'll pick up in the fall, or at least go to the high side of the range.

We've lost space during the week because management is trying to use less paper. Instead of seeing the newshole (sportshole?) open up as the week goes on, it's shrinking. Recently it has been 35 cols on Tuesday, 33 cols on Wednesday and 30-31 on Thursday and Friday. (It's because the ad volume picks up, but we rarely get 2 extra pages.)

The thing that chaps me most about space is Monday - Sunday-for-Monday is our biggest day, especially in the fall because of NASCAR and the NFL (and MLB and college football folos and golf), but we can't seem to convince anyone else in the building that our Monday section is, you know, significant. Talk about jamming 10 pounds of taters into the proverbial 5-pound sack ...

7. doctor x

doctor x Member

Stop me if you work at a small place and have heard this one:

Busy time of year: "We've got to tighten up and that's all there is to it."

Middle of freaking June: All the room in the world.

8. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

I'm at an 11K daily and our page counts could be all over the place depending on how much space the powers that be want to give us. But I'll echo what Willie Butch said and put in that my shop is all over the place as well.

We never have less than 3, but sometimes we have up to 7. Those days are a lot of fun when you're using up every AP feature written that nobody cares about.

The only day we're constant is Sunday when we have four pages.

9. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

30K circulation in Mid-Atlantic

Weekdays is generally 4-6 with the occasional full-page ad.

Saturdays is usually 6 and Sunday's is 8, with at least one page eaten up by an ad or sometimes Weather.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Our 10K is usually 4-6 pages dailty, 8-10 Sunday. Mostly filled with local each day.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Sorry I am late to the party ...

35K that covers U. of Podunk ...

Daily: No less than 5, and no more than 8
    Sunday: 8 (this time of year) to 12-16 (football season, depending on ad sales). We design a bunch of open-page packages during busy times, which is why we bump to 16 during football season if Ad Rep XYZ sold them some half-pagers.

rb

12. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Seeing some of these responses really depresses me.

Mid-Atlantic state, 40K....

M - 5
    T - 5 (but 1 page goes to Fishin' and Shootin' stuff)
    W -5 (but 1 page goes to our Neighborhood Sports extravaganza)
    Th - 6 or 7 (but 1 page is our NASCAR weekly)
    F - 4
    S - 4

That's during the spring/summer. Once schools let out we're OK, but I'm about ready to explode during spring sports playoff season, when I'm trying to wedge 50 pounds of crap into a 25-pound bag every day.

During football and the winter seasons they really splurge and give us an average of 5-6 per day during the week, and no less than 6 on a Saturday. My mind positively reels with all the extra space I have to fill.

Draft saved Draft deleted