1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Secretariat," the movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I loved the Nack biography on Secretariat. And he was wonderful in the ESPN SportsCentury feature.

I'm afraid I know too much about the horse to enjoy the moving. I'll Netflix it.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When I get time, I'll watch the Nack clips, but IMO the movie completely trivialized the whole Secretariat story, and Nack's tremendous retelling of it.

And it's not a tribute to Nack's book to jack around with almost every single one of the factual points of the whole storyline.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It was painful, beyond measure. Those with any sustained acquaintance with the real story
    should stay far, far away.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I've heard it is way too Disney-fied. But I heard Diane Lane is terrific.

True story. We were playing Paris in football my senior year, big rivalry game for us, that day after Secretariat died. So at the game that night they have a moment of silence for the horse.

My coach was standing enxt to me and said "He was a great Thoroughbred." I came back with, "Now he's glue." I was told I have no heart.

BTW, the horse lived at Claiborne Farms in Paris, which is why the moment of silence was held. Kentucky's weird that way. For the record, I had 10 tackles and we won that night!

Sorry Moddy.

Draft saved Draft deleted