1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Secretariat," the movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's the race where Secretariat makes the turn and there's fog coming out of his nose because it was cold, right?

That's the greatest sports image I have ever seen in my life. Made him look like the freight train he was.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'll enjoy the veil... and the bride underneath it.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Is this the one starring Sarah Jessica Parker?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yes. THAT should have been the closing montage of the movie. He thunders across the finish line in the Belmont in the glaring sunlight of a 90 degree New York afternoon, then the screen fades to gray Canadian twilight as he barrels through the snow flurries like a Norse apparition.

Instead, we'll get 6-foot-3 tall Lucien Laurin in a Superfly outfit dancing the funky chicken while Penny Tweedy sings "I Am Woman," as a horse trots around in the background.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One form of nags to another...

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Working on that.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I want to see the movie, but the promos sure make it seem like it's something not based on a true story, so I'll probably spend this money on a few late daily doubles next time I pass the OTB.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I mentioned this on the movie thread, but yeah, once the trailers tried to make the most dominant sports figure in the history of athletic competition look like an underdog story, I decided I wasn't going to watch this movie.

And here's a great shot of Secretariat (and especially of Turcotte) at the Belmont:

[​IMG]

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bill Nack's story on Big Red, for my money among the very best pieces ever to run in SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1005832/index.htm

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

The 1973 Canadian International - his final race. It was October 28 and the temperature was 35 degrees.

The only thing wrong is that Ron Turcotte, a Canadian, was under suspension and couldn't ride him even though it was Big Red's last race and it was in Canada.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wasn't Turcotte suspended at the time? Anybody remember why?

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Any got a link to the above mentioned picture?

I found this looking for it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted