1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Secretariat," the movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Opens Friday.

As one of the many many millions who were captivated by his Triple Crown campaign in 1973, I had high hopes for a big-screen treatment of Big Red. Especially the Belmont scene, which should look somewhat similar to the Saturn V launch scene in "Apollo 13."

Disney did a fairly decent job on "Miracle," another highly-publicized and frequently-retold legendary sports story from the 1970s/80s, so I had hopes they would do OK on the Secretariat story.

But ... most of the early spoilers are ... uhmmm ... not good.

Apparently what we're going to get is a Lifetime-movie story of a plucky (rich) housewife overcoming annoying male chauvinists to become richer and a factual storyline that is about 80% completely concocted. Oh yes they have a couple scenes of a horse running too.

We'll see what it looks like Friday but at this point expectations are not real high.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

We saw a sneak preview. Your intuition is correct.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I had a pass to go to a screening a few weeks ago, but I didn't go, because it looked very, as you said, Lifetime-like. Even for free, I didn't want to see it.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

As someone too young to remember Secretariat's run, I didn't have a lot to compare it to, so it wasn't terrible. Far worse ways to spend two hours, especially at that price tag. But I knew what kind of movie it would be when we were the only 30-something couple in the joint. Seriously. We sat in back of four people who had to be north of 80 and were surrounded by parents with their crying kids.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think I've made my love for Secretariat clear on here before. Just in case:

I was at the 1973 Derby. In the infield. Saw Secretariat make his move on the far turn. I was in love.

The dominant art in my family room is a collage of the three finish-line pictures. Signed by Ron Turcotte. I have three 1973 Kentucky Derby mint julep glasses. I have an album and a cassette of the calls from every Secretariat race. I have coffee mugs, a bobblehead, a Secretariat paperweight, pen knife, poker chip, money clip and shot glass. I have a Secretariat snow globe and beer bucket.

I have pristine copies of Time, Newsweek and Sports Illustrated with Secretariat on the cover. I have two copies of the abstract of Secretariat done by Leroy Neimann.

I fucking love Secretariat.

So I really want to see this movie. And I really don't, for the reasons Starman articulated so well. I fear major suckage.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Suddenly, I don't feel so bad about having more than one jersey of Sam Mills, Ron Francis or Cam Ward. Thanks, Moddy. :)

Seriously, the previews gave off the impression that the action away from the track was a complete concoction. And, like many, I hold "Miracle" in high regard.

Not so sure many of us are going to like what we see.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

If the movie blows, Diane Lane is always fun to look at.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It doesn't hurt that Moddy can swing by the farm on the way to a Nats game either.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My old man was at Big Red's last race at Woodbine. He drove the ambulance at the track for many years and was in his usual spot at the wire (as I recall the ambulance didn't follow the race at Woodbine in those days) when Secretariat turned for home.

He said he had seen hundreds and hundreds of races from that spot over the years but never saw anything like that horse coming out of the rain headed for the wire. He said it was the greatest horse he ever saw and couldn't come up with anything even close. He knew one of the jocks, a Canuckistani race legend, in the race and he said it went by his mount like no other horse he had ever seen.

The old man bet a deuce on Big Red to win and that remained the only winning ticket he never cashed. It is framed, along with a picture of Secretariat crossing the wire, at my brother's place.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Enjoy

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

A real fan would have a Secretariat tattoo.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Will I go see this movie?

Nay.

Please......enjoy the veil.

Draft saved Draft deleted