1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Life - creepy or am I just old?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 21, 2007.

1. I guess I'm behind the times because I'm just finding out about this "Second Life" online gaming experience that is supposedly the hottest thing going right now.

The game is self-explanatory by the title - you get to live a second online life, purchasing dollars to spend, running a business, scoring with the ladies, etc., etc., etc. I've read a couple of articles on it and people are quoted about how in real life they can't do this but on "Second Life" they can, etc., etc. And a lot of people seem to be replacing their "real" lives with their better "virtual" ones.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone here participate?

2. Am I wrong to be creeped out by this?

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

I gave it a shot. Learned to fly, wandered around. Some girl from China followed me a bit, and then I got ignored by three people when I tried to talk to them.

It was way too much like my real life, so I quit. :)

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Never played this game, though I'll give it a shot when my home computer gets fixed. However, I've played the Sims religiously for a few years and you could suggest I need a life for playing so avidly a pretend life.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've played it before ... couldn't keep my interest.

5. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

OK, this guy is definitely into second life a bit too much: http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/public/article/SB118670164592393622.html?mod=blog

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I vote creepy. Besides, it would cut into my SportsJournalists.com time.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

A House That's Just Unreal:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/09/garden/09second.html?em&ex=1186891200&en=7dd41b2c1a4e476a&ei=5087%0A

Apparently, with a second life comes a second mortgage.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The Communications dept at the college I attend bought an island in 2nd life. We (the journalism students) found it less than amusing that they were spending money on that shit instead of on better journalism teachers.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I liked this alternate online universe where I can make a bunch of pretend friends and the cute chicks find me funny and attractive the first time I was there. When it was called sportsjournalists.com.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

We were lying.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Even about the lipstick on the walls?

Draft saved Draft deleted