1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second cat?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Giggity, May 7, 2008.

1. Giggity

Giggity Member

I've got one cat, going on five years old. She's completely awesome, except for the fact she hates - HATES - everybody other than myself and my girlfriend. She doesn't pick fights, but if anybody tries to pet her, they almost always end up bleeding.

My girlfriend wants another cat. And I'm thinking ours could, in theory, stand to have a friend to play with while we're at work (she's showing some early signs of getting tubby). But I'm worried she's too anti-social and we'll just be looking for a new home for a scratched-up kitten in two weeks. This is my first cat, so I have no idea how multiple cats adapt to each other, much less how much of a factor their personalities are.

Anyways, any advice from the cat lovers?
  2. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Is there any way you could have the kitten on a trial basis? If your current cat gets along with the kitten, you can keep it, but if not, you have your answer for your girlfriend.
  3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

We have the same problem. Our guy is 7 years old, and though we would love to get him a little playmate, there's no way he would go for it. The poor little kitten would be dead by the end of the week.

I would tread lightly, Giggity.
  4. BYH

BYH Active Member

If your cat is five, my guess is that it's too late to get a second cat. My wife had the exact same reasoning as you--find a play buddy for when we're away--when we got a second cat a little less than two years after we got our first.

Our older cat is exactly like yours--hates EVERYONE except us. Company comes and he hisses and runs off and hides. He spent the first four days we had Maggie hissing and growling at the closed bathroom door, behind which Maggie was cooped up. To this day, he cannot tolerate a closed bathroom door, and every time one of us goes into the bathroom, he follows us, as if he expects to see another cat there. The amazing thing is we've moved and he still does this.

He has grown to tolerate her, though he's lately taken to surprise humping her (they're both fixed, maybe he's just riled up b/c spring is in the air). A few times a week we'll find them sleeping together (hey-o) on the bed, but more often than not they go their own way.

In addition, my childhood cat was five when we rescued a stray, and she responded by hiding under the bed for a week and getting sick.

Good luck. I love having two cats, but my bet is your guy is too old to really tolerate it.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Judging from this thread, maybe the question should be why would anyone want even one cat?
  6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Shit like that is why you aren't landing at the Plain-Dealer, bub.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At least I've got it narrowed down. I'll adopt a mountain lion if it will get me in the damn door.
  8. BYH

BYH Active Member

that could end up tragic, in a hilarious way. Like when a clown cries.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Giggity, if you get one, it is definitely going to take some patience at first. They probably aren't going to get along at first. I honestly don't know if age makes a difference or not.

Our first cat was about two when we decided to get a second one. She loved me, but wanted absolutely nothing to do with anybody else, including my wife. When she was a kitten, my wife was always scooping her up and hugging her, basically making her feel a bit smothered. I listened to some tremendous advice I got from other cat owners and let the little furball come to me, so I became the only person she trusted. She wouldn't bite or scratch, but she did hiss and run away from everybody else.

Then we rescued a second kitten. We kept them separated (he was locked up in a bathroom) for a few days, with us taking him out to or going in to pay attention to him a much as possible. She would sniff at the door and he would poke his paw out underneath it.

Then we opened the door. This tiny little kitten came out running and took a flying leap onto his "big sister." The first few days were rough, but within a week or two, they were fine. To this day, they get along really well and usually sleep curled up in a ball together.
  10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Why stop at two.
  11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

My cat is the coolest animal on the planet. Loves everybody -- at least those he doesn't fear (mostly young children). Has never hissed in his life. We rescued him as a stray. Still can't believe he survived so long without having the capacity for anger.
    My cat will curl up on my lap while I'm writing. He comes up and keeps me company while I run on the treadmill. He has his own language with about 30 different chirps, whines and meows. Not that I know what any of them mean.
    He loves being rubbed when we go up the steps to bed for the evening. He knows that turning off the TV means it's time. He's been amazing to have for 13 years.
    That's why I have a cat, since you asked.
  12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We got a second cat a couple years before the older one died. There was a period of adjustment, but toward the end she was helping him groom himself.

We had a really good vet and when I asked him about it he said, "I think if you could ask any pet whether they'd rather have the undivided attention of their humans, they would say yes, but it's not a big deal."

The surviving cat, though, became more confident after it became just her. We had adopted her from a two-cat household and this is her first time being the lone cat. I think she likes it.
Draft saved Draft deleted