1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's California, so "loony toon quasi-cult" is a pretty good guess.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Could very well be.

Apologists like to say, but he drank/went to strip clubs/was gay as evidence that Islam couldn't be the motivating factor.

It can be if you're trying to save your soul.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If he was gay, is it possible that it wasn't a hate crime? More like San Bernardino than Charleston?

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"Look, it was dark in the club, and they had told me they were going to be there."

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Didn't a lot of the 9/11 hijackers drink and go to strip clubs?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The one way to make up for living as your religion's most vile type of person is to die as its most revered.

CD Boogie likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Given this guy's apparent background and the facts that are coming out about him, I think it's all related, and, as I said earlier, a particularly complicated case. I think guns, Mateen's Islamic beliefs, his apparent, self-styled support of terrorism against the U.S., and whatever personal demons he had were all factors.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It is a wild story. Someone should start a thread.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Major Hassan too.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm still wrapping my head around this thought and working it out, but doesn't the way this attack went down underscore the relative lack of a domestic terrorism threat in this country?

Put another way, one guy easily purchased two high-powered firearms a couple of weeks ago. He takes a couple of weeks to train with them, then kills 50 people. If there are so many domestic terrorists out there, why doesn't this happen more often?

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Exactly. These guys weren't devout believers, they had serious mental health issues and were looking for a glorified way out.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

9/11 took quite a bit of planning and training. Though this Mateen guy may have real issues, I doubt you would trust that 9/11 plot on a handful of guys whose chief qualification was serious mental health issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted