1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC women's tournament

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Mississippi State will hope to meet up with Tenn. somewhere in the bracket.
    State's got a possible NCAA team this season.
    Lady Bulldogs are 0-for-30, or somesuch, all-time against Lady Vols.

(See pdf of bracket here: http://secsports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=4&url_article_id=10139&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2)
    The bracket is upside down, FWIW

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Back when I covered the Lady Dogs for the Banner-Herald, which was 2003-05, I went to everything but the games on the West Coast.

The ABH doesn't do much on the road these days, for the men or women, but I'm pretty sure Weiszer is going to Little Rock.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Fixed

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Tupelo won't be going to the women's tournament, but we rarely have.

We'll still send both beat writers to the men's tourney.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Favoritism and sexism, rolled into one.

Oh wait, your readers don't really care about women's basketball (especially with Tan White gone to the pros).

I understand totally.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've been informed Jay has an open tab at an Irish pub walking distance from Alltel Arena. Y'all should all take advantage of him it.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not sure if that's meant to bait me or what.

I think it goes without saying that the general population in this market doesn't care about the women's game in the same way they do about the men's. If they did, a "pack the gym" day for a women's game would pull more than 1,900.

It's reasonable to think the general readership of the newspaper might reflect that, too.

But I was taught, a long time ago in Nashville, to disregard all that and treat the women's game like all the rest of the news we cover.

In the time I have been here, since late 2001, I think we have done a decent job on the women's basketball beat.

This year, we've staffed the highlight home games – the Ole Miss-MSU home-and-home, Tennessee's visit to Starkville, Van Chancellor's first game back to Oxford – and have probably given the women's game its best Monday coverage since I got here. I've written some women's notebooks this season and our MSU beat writer did a nice takeout-length feature on the three players from the Congo.

We are at the high school state basketball tournament this week and next and that ain't free.

From Monday through Friday, all five of our centerpieces have been women's/girls basketball (Ole Miss on Monday, preps the four days since). These are decisions that I make everyday here, with no particular -isms in play.

8. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Knoxville has never stopped covering UT road games. Not sure where you get your informaton. We will have Dan Fleser and John Adams there. We will have three at SEC men (Griffith, Strange, Adams).

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Does Hartford travel with UConn?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember covering a UConn regular season (men's) game the first year they won the title and Hartford had three people on the road for a relatively meaningless regular-season road game across the country. I'm guessing those days are long gone.

11. micke77

micke77 Member

We used to regularly cover Louisiana Tech's women on the road, but those days are gone...first because they have dropped from AP and USA Today top 25s and--surprise, surprise--the economic state of the newspaper industry.
    But the road trips we used to take to cover them were a lot of fun and made for memorable times because cohorts from all of the state papers would all be along.
    But nobody around here goes on the road at all to cover Tech during the regular season or postseason conference tournament.
    Last big trips we made to cover Tech was first to Reno for WAC tournament and then toi Denver for NCAA regionals four years ago. If they win the WAC postseason tourney and get the automatic berth, I will be surprised if we cover it unless they put 'em in a regional situated close to us.
    Yep, the times, they've changed.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, Henry.
    I was baiting you.
    Just funnin' around.

Draft saved Draft deleted