1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC women's tournament running thread — UPDATED: Day 2

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 4, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Media row? What media?
    This year's contingent of trusty scribes is notably less than the last time the SEC played in North Little Rock. I'd guesstimate about two-thirds smaller.
    Papers listed as being here: Baton Rouge, Oxford, Athens, Knoxville and Gainesville. No print media from Kentucky and South Carolina. No-show metros include: Atlanta, Jackson, Lexington, Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans and all the larger Florida papers. Biggest circ paper here is Birmingham, I think. Little Rock might be larger, I'm not sure.
    As expected a healthy media contingent from Arkansas and a surprisingly large showing from Alabama, or at least on the media check-in list. Some won't get in into Thursday or Friday, depending on game schedule. And I didn't make a copy of the media list, this is just as best as I recall.

I'd like to teach the world to smile
    Cases of Dr Pepper, Diet Dr Pepper, and Diet Sunkist were stacked up in the bowels of the arena. The DP wasn't a surprise, but I can't figure out the Sunkist connection.
    *shrug*

Putting the "North" in Little Rock
    Remember the games aren't played in Little Rock. The correct dateline is NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — and if you put Little Rock on your dateline, then a friendly friend from North Little Rock's Chamber of Commerce will come tell you that you had it wrong and ask you to get it right next time.

Big-timing it
    Tennessee's Pat Head Summitt declined to bring her team to practice on Wednesday. Summitt decided it would be better to have her team sleep in her their own beds and not miss a day of class for a meaningless practice session. Fans who came to the arena to get a look at the Lady Vols left disappointed. Georgia also didn't make the practice session either. Tennessee plans on flying out early Thursday morning to make their game later that day, while Georgia was stuck at the world's scariest airport in their attempt to flee the peach state.

Hot intern watch
    None spotted so far. And if you do see one, don't post pictures. Moddy isn't amused.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: SEC women's tournament running thread

Diet Sunkist is ambrosia.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My last gym made a damn good protein shake with Diet Sunkist. One of about two things I miss about Alabama.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Diet Sunkist with Vanilla Vodka...
    Adult Creamsicle.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

This is absolutely shocking. Boy, I'm sure glad I got this lowdown on media attendance at SEC women's tournament.

I really do care.

Geez, next thing you know, newspapers will start cutting newshole, chopping staff, giving furloughs and filing for bankruptcy.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Trying ... to ... post ... but ... irony ... dripping ... all ... over ... the ... place.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

The other, naturally, being the always sunny disposition of Mike Lane.

rb

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Did they get that bracket turned right-side up?

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

In light of recent economic hardships -- and knowing that a certain segment of so-called media members would like to discuss the ridiculous amounts of money state employees who happen to coach basketball make -- I'm just wondering if anyone at this tournament will ask Andy Landers to justify his $525,000 annual salary considering the state of the economy, the fact that his state is poor and the fact that his program lost $1.6 million last year......

Oh yeah, I forgot, it isn't a fair question because he's a member of a protected species among the politically correct and elitist pinheads who so litter newsrooms around the country..........

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Stupid-assed woman on TV yesterday said the guy questioning Jim Calhoun had "snuck into the media room with a photo credential."
    So what, the guy asked a fair question.
    Calhoun responded like a spoiled child.

Ask Landers, for sure.
    Don't let him do like Calhoun did and tell you to "catch him in the hall and ask your question."
    Piss-poor reaction by Calhoun.

Also to those in N. Little Rock:
    GO STATE !!

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Calhoun would have talked to the guy in the hall -- he does after almost every news conference of his that I have attended in the past 20 years or so -- and that would have been an appropriate time to ask it.

But dude didn't want to ask it there because then he couldn't have grandstanded and got on television.....

And is it not a fair question when Calhoun's program is profitable and thus Calhoun's salary is not even a little drain on the state funds.......

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You're making seven figures, at least in part, to be the face of an institute of higher learning. Answer the question in a way that gives at least some indication you understand that.

And really, "protected species?" Did you just slip back to the 1800s?

Draft saved Draft deleted