1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC TV Network announced

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 2, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Pac-12's 2011 TV deal with Fox and ESPN was the most lucrative in the history of college sports. Better than the SEC's, with fewer members to divide the revenue among.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6471380

And still the Pac-12 network gets first pick of games in two weeks of the season, increasing the value of the conference's own network and thereby increasing the income each member will eventually receive from that network.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, I don't have that drive which is probably why I like the brunch kickoffs. Plus, it usually means I can get home for dinner with the family and a night hanging out with my wife.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If I'm working, I love the early kickoff. Plenty of time to make deadline, and maybe you can catch the fourth quarter of the afternoon game and the primetime games in their entirety over dinner.

But if you're going to the game as a fan, the early kickoff sucks ass.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Why? I prefer noon kickoffs. Admittedly, I also don't drink (much) before games.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How is this possible?

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

As I have read it, there's a lot of room for extra income from the SEC deal.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Assuming you don't live right near campus, it makes for an early (and sometimes cold) morning. And not much time to eat before the game either.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I guess. I haven't regularly gone to games since I was in college, admittedly. As a TV viewer, I love when Alabama plays at noon (aside from it meaning the opponent sucks) because it opens up my Saturday to do whatever else I want all day, which often means drinking and watching football. Night games are the worst.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As a native Californian, I always hate when the Pac-12 teams play the really late games. That just gets ridiculous.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If you're wondering how the Pac-12 can have the first pick of games two weeks of the season, I guess Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott was a smart negotiator and realized that since he had a product TV wanted he could dictate some contract terms that benefitted the conference, not the networks.

The Pac-12 controls the Pac-12 Network (which admittedly is a work in progress). It sounds as if ESPN, not the SEC, will control the SEC network.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rumors heating up that PAWWWWWL's daily talk show will air on SECN.

12. Which channel gets on DirecTV first, the SEC TV Network or the Pac-12 Network, which is really one national channel with six regional networks?

Draft saved Draft deleted