1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC releases 2012 conference football pairings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Very hot.

It's possible that the only games UF is favored are the Kentucky and Vanderbilt games.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think they will in a couple of years, but they have to let the already contracted non-conference road games rotate off the schedule before teams will want to play a fifth SEC road game.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Unless you look to factor in the plus factor of the offing of the coach A&M had to endure this season, Aggies appear to be in deep, deep shit.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I look forward to Bama playing North Texas/Kent State/Jackson-Olin on Nov. 17, then the fan base beating its collective chest about a tough schedule

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's Western Carolina.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They open the season against Michigan and also play LSU, Auburn, Arkansas and the rest of a pretty good SEC slate. I don't understand the beef with SEC teams' scheduling, it seems like they all play at least one marquee OOC game every year -- unlike, say, Oklahoma State does.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Ole Miss has as brutal of a schedule as anyone in the league, and that's based partially on the type team the Rebels have at the moment.
    After opening with Alabama, they go to LSU and Georgia and just all-in-all have a tough go of it for the first-year coach.
    I do like how the extra teams in the conference might change the way teams play the same schools at the same times of every stinking season.
    If the league would mix up the dates of when teams face each other, it would bring more balance and fairness to the league.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing this breakdown is about the same BCS-wide:

Next year's marquee OOC games/opponents (2): Alabama vs. Michigan (at Dallas); Mississippi vs. Texas
    vs. traditional rival (4): Georgia vs. Georgia Tech; Florida vs. Florida State; Kentucky at Louisivlle; South Carolina at Clemson.
    vs. BCS teams (6): Auburn vs. Clemson (at Atlanta); LSU vs. Washington; Missouri vs. Arizona State; Vanderbilt at Northwestern; Vanderbilt at Wake Forest; Tennessee vs. North Carolina State (at Atlanta)
    vs. quasi-crap (5): Arkansas vs. Tulsa; Texas A&M vs. SMU; Mississippi vs. UTEP; Mississippi at Tulane; South Carolina vs. East Carolina
    vs. crap (33): Alabama vs. Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, vs. Western Carolina; Arkansas vs. Jacksonville State, Louisiana Monroe; Auburn vs. Louisiana Monroe, vs. New Mexico State, vs. Alabama A&M; Florida vs. Bowling Green, Louisiana Lafayette; Jacksonville State; Georgia vs. Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern; Kentucky vs. Kent State, vs. Western Kentucky, vs. Samford; LSU vs. North Texas, Idaho; Towson; Mississippi vs. Central Arkansas; Mississippi State vs. Jackson State, at Troy, vs. South Alabama, vs. Middle Tennessee; South Carolina vs. UAB, Wofford; Tennessee vs. Georgia State, vs. Akron; Troy; Texas A&M vs. McNeese State; Vanderbilt vs. Presbyterian, Massachusetts

Arkansas has one more OOC opponent to be determined, Texas A&M has two and Missouri has three.

9. mb

mb Active Member

South Carolina's two from the West: LSU and Arkansas.
    Georgia's two from the West: Ole Miss and Auburn.

Ouch.

/chickensfanboy

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think in all those cases you're going to find every team playing a team that is about at its level nationally, or at least one that could reasonably be expected to be so when the schedule was made. FSU vs. Florida doesn't look like a "marquee" matchup right now, but when they agreed to it five years ago, it looked like it would be both teams' make-or-break game for national championship hopes as it had been many times over the previous 15 years.

This year Georgia took on Boise; LSU played Oregon; Alabama played Penn State (which does not look hugely difficult in retrospect, but again, in 2006 or whatever when that was scheduled, it was reasonable to assume it as a marquee game);
    South Carolina and I think Auburn played Clemson; etc. etc. Go look at the Big Ten or Pac-10 or Big 12 schedule and see if you find similarly challenging games.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don't see the league going to a 9-game sked; lots of scuttlebutt that the coaches hate the idea, and for good reason. Not sure what it brings you in the long run...it's not like Ole Miss packs Gainesville any more than, say, Southern Miss or some other OOC foe.

Aside: Thanks for the summary, Mile High. Very interesting.

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Auburn's schedule? Not too bad.
    Alabama's schedule? Almost as easy as it can possibly be.

Draft saved Draft deleted