1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC plans "new media" policy similar to NFL ... lawsuits a-comin'!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The NBA has a similar video policy. I honestly don't see that this is that big a deal. Certainly, there are more important things to worry about in this day and age.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I think most people would agree with you. I also think what bothers people is the erosion of access and what's "allowed" occurs in small enough increments to not seem like such a big deal, but over time it really adds up. So, at what point do you try to halt the momentum? It's never one big thing, so ... when do you say when?

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I would suggest that, as more newspapers enter an increasingly internet-first world, that this *is* a big deal. And not just in Starkville and Fayetteville. But in bigger markets like Atlanta and Orlando.

I know of at least one SEC market that has an entire facet of folks who work covering press conferences and such for internet distribution. This seems to be an attempt by the league to squeeze the toothpaste back in the tube.

RB

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

From what I understand a lot of the schools aren't real happy with this policy either. They had little or no input on it and it walks all over a lot of schools' existing rights holder agreements with their radio and internet providers. This edict came directly from the commissioner.

This also doesn't impact still photography from what I've been told. It hurts TV more than it hurts newspapers.

5. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

I have a good friend that works in one of the biggest SEC markets for TV. They were called by their local SID and they told them they hated this. It won't hurt stills, but really hurts TV.

It hurts from a pure internet content as well as archiving old shows. He said that it would really hurt the amount of coverage and their news director told the sports folks, "Well, we have to rethink traveling and other things if we can't use what the people want." He also said that the boss told them, "We have watched our newspaper colleagues get screwed here for a while and I guess it is our turn."

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

fuckabuncha Mike Slime...

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

No more higher-ups screaming "Get video, get video!" as I'm walking out the door? What's the problem?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does video make newspapers any money?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So no cellphones will be allowed in the stadium? No chatting on message boards or blogging about the team?
    Yeah, I can't see them enforcing that.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Even better... no cameras?

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That's actually a decent point.

12. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Will the SEC now have position coaches feeding answers during Q and A's? \

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gator_clause/2009/08/florida-gators-qb-jordan-reed-gets-the-gag-order-from-assistant-coach-scot-loeffler.html

Draft saved Draft deleted