1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC plans "new media" policy similar to NFL ... lawsuits a-comin'!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The video bit might be problematic when it comes to online content. And the thing about using your likeness is so they can show the games on ESPN Classic and not give every Billy Bob and Nadine who rushes the field at Bryant-Denny a royalty.
    Other than that, this seems like pretty standard legalese on the back of the credential. Not much different than, say, an NFL credential (which, I believe, has similar restrictions on the use of video).

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I ain't gittin nuthin for them to use my pitcher?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The goalposts at Bryant Denny have never been torn down.

Carry on.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The guy with the directions lost em...

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

The SEC feels that it is bigger than the NFL and in some areas, it is. But this is bullshit that others are going to follow. Bet on it.

6. John Kaltefleiter

John Kaltefleiter New Member

Not to worry, photogs. SEC won't impose those restrictions on stills ... yet. However, you might be required a yellow-on-blue apron with SEC emblazoned across the front and back. You might even be mistaken as one of the "chain gang" members along the sidelines.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Is this a "new media" policy? Or a new media policy?

8. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

We're quickly approaching a point where the so-called "access" they give us isn't worth playing by their highly restrictive rules.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As I am unwilling or unable to sift through all the legalese, someone please clear this up for me ... this policy applies only to video shot on game day (including post-game interviews and pressers), correct? So stuff shot at practice and in midweek interviews is still OK?

10. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

From The Tuscaloosa News:
    In addition to game coverage, the new media policy also affects pre and postgame news conferences, practices or any other 'event sponsored or hosted by the SEC or by any one or more of its member institutions.'

11. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

Another interesting note.

From the Tuscaloosa News:
    ...the new SEC rules also place restrictions on what ticket-holders can do while at the game.
    A summary to be printed on the back of each ticket (likely starting next year with football, since tickets for this season already have been distributed) forbids fans from taking photographs or sharing accounts or descriptions of the event.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The intent here is pretty clear: Drive as much traffic as possible to the schools' official sites.
    If they're serious about preventing fans from taking videos and still photos, they'll have to conduct more thorough searches of fans entering the stadium. No more of the cursory looks and sending folks on their merry way. The more rigorous the interrogation and screening process, the longer the wait outside. That isn't just an inconvenience; it's time during which fans aren't in the stadium buying sodas and hot dogs and T-shirts.
    I suggest the SEC think this one through.

Draft saved Draft deleted