1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC plans "new media" policy similar to NFL ... lawsuits a-comin'!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Not sure quite what to this of this Gestapo-like wording.

http://www.tidesports.com/assets/pdf/TL1766887.PDF

rb

2. John Kaltefleiter

John Kaltefleiter New Member

SEC follows NFL anti-media lead

Knew this was coming a few years ago when the NFL Network was born and the league and its lawyers clamped down on media outlets nationwide. There goes another possible revenue stream for places like Athens, Anniston, Tuscaloosa, Gainesville, Fla. and Columbia, S.C.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20090807/news/908079994

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You know you're an empire when you set limits on coverage of you.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I DON'T CARE THAT YOU HAVE LIMITS! I WANT TO SEE ME SOME BAMMER/AUBIE/GATERS/VOLS/DAWGS! [/secfanbois]

i don't care that you have limits. Come to our official SEC sites or die [/MikeSlime]

And if I spend my money on a ticket, the SEC can use my likeness forever -- fuckabuncha Greatest Conference in the History of Mankind.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

What media outlet has the money for a lawsuit?!?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So after 72 hours, you can't use a photo or bit of video at all? Or do you have to pay to get the rights to use it?

For example, a photog gets a great action shot in Week 1 and the paper decides to do a feature on the player in Week 3. They can't use that photo now?

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I would think some of the ones who operate directly within the areas rich with SEC football might have a thing or two to say about the historical record.

rb

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Where on earth are you getting that from the policy document? There's a specific reference to video, but I don't see the still-photo reference at all.

Those of you who have worked in and around Olympics should be very familiar with just about all of this language, BTW.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

SEC ain't the IOC....

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, but I think you have the relationships out of joint. The SEC is similar in legal scope to a local organizing committee, SLOOC (2002) or ACOG (1996) to use to familiar domestic examples. ESPN and the digital provider, XOS, are the rights-holders. And the local organizer enforces the conditions of the rights holders. That, it seems to me, explains about 90 percent of what's in there.

11. redsox99

redsox99 Member

It doesn't say anything about still photos ----- yet. Only video. If they do this on still photos, we'd have a hard time justifying sending a photog to games. We'd go with just AP game art, then shoot practice art for midweek features in the 20 minutes per day we're allocated for practice.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry all, I'd heard about this from a TV buddy. I assumed (wrongly it seems) it would apply to still and video.

My bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted