1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC Media Days

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spinning27, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not exactly a Toastmasters convention.

2. WS

WS Member

was also shocked Tyrone Prothro got voted 3rd team, when he won't play this year. I guess the ballot must have been very short, as is the case in some of the positions in the conference I cover

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

So with a lot of you reading SJ during the media days pressers (one of you noticing that there were several laptops tuned to SJ), did you even acknowledge each other, physically talk to each other, drink afterwards, or is this sorta like the first and second rules of "Fight Club?"

4. Needles

Needles Member

You never talk about SportsJournalists.com -- at least until the beer guzzling begins in downtown Hoovah.

Here's my coach ranking:

1-Spurrier. Anyone who uses the words "bitching" and "women's basketball" in a positive light is pretty entertaining.
    2-Orgeron. He can only be Bruce Banner for so long. And you won't like him when he's angry.
    3-Bobby Johnson. He hasn't been funny since "The Jerk."
    4-Rich Brooks. He has no idea what he's doing here, and it shows.
    5-Croom. Dude, they're getting better. They are! Just you wait.
    6-Tuberville. He's just a caveman. He doesn't understand your COM-plicated FOOT-ball questions.
    7-Fulmer. Is that the way Phil talks, or does he always have three handfuls of M&Ms crammed into his mouth?
    8-Richt. Will Georgia be good this year? Maybe. Does that mean the new quarterback can be counted on? Probably not. Will the 'Dogs stlil win the east? Most likely. Does Richt enjoy conducting his own interview and rendering the writers useless? Absolutely.
    9-Houston Nutt. Heh...Nutt.
    10-Urban Meyer. If he mentions college football's "pageantry and tradition" one more time, I'm punching Jeremy Foley.
    11-Les Miles. Did anyone notice the story Les told today that included, yes, sexual innuendo?
    12-Shula. Maybe this whole speaking thing is new to him.

needles

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You know, I enjoy reading things like this more than I do the stuff our guy is sending.

Not sure what that says about me . . . or our writer . . . or the SEC coaching fraternity.

6. Farbecker

Farbecker Active Member

I think the Les Miles story creeped out a lot of people. Of course it also woke up a lot of us who were starting to fall asleep.

7. I actually wrote that as a column after attending the 2004 media days. Wrote it off the top of my head in about 15 minutes. Good friend of mine and former co-worker - who undoubtedly is reading this thread - said it was one of the best things I'd ever written. Both a sad statement on the SEC and my career.

By the way Needles, you basically took my list, switched Meyer and Nutt and wrote more clever stuff. Asshole.

8. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I met an SportsJournalists.com guy at Media Days. Turns out I had private messaged him recently without knowing who was behind the handle.

It was a pretty funny two minutes.

"Are you Paseana?"

ALSO: I disagree on Tuberville being a caveman. He dumbs down for the convention/booster/Media Days circuit.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Fuertej can't hit a golf ball consistently until he rotates around his lead leg. And he can't putt for shit -- kinda like David B. Fay's Bow Tie.

Speaking of the resplendent Mr. Fay, his golf tab stands at $20.

rb

10. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

what was the les miles story?

and "geno" ruined that column with the whitlockian reference to himself in the third person.

11. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Aww man, come on. When I connect, I connect. Though, I think I pulled my left hamstring and popped my left achilles just to get the ball down the damn fairway on 16, sheesh.

Whose shots did we end up taking more of, by the way? RB's or David B. Fay's Bow Tie?

EDIT: Oh, like your putting was much better. I can't recall too many holes where your ball hit the rockbottom of the cup. Then again, I don't have much room to talk, as my lovely putting style doesn't exactly get me close.

12. I was flabbergasted because the media event did not adhere to the Rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted