1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC media and the double standard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jul 27, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

During SEC media days, the writers made a big deal of what coach didn't vote for Tim Tebow. Made it a daily question of all the coaches. Eventually Steve Spurrier apologized, said it was a screwup by the SID staff and had his vote changed.
    Yet in the media voting, three didn't vote for Tebow.
    Two voted for Ole Miss's Jevon Snead, while one voted for Arkansas and former Michigan QB Ryan Mallett, who doesn't even have the piggies starting job locked down yet.
    So, and I ask seriously, why hasn't someone hunted down the media members who didn't vote for Tebow and write a story about who did what and why?
    Or has someone?
    Are the media ballots secret?
    Can the collective wisdom of the SportsJournalists.com nation figure out who voted how?

And I know that the fate of the world doesn't revolve around this, but it does seem like it is a double standard to hold the coaches to this extreme level of scrutiny, but when it is a media member, the collective pack leaves it alone.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I can't figure out what more Tebow would have to do to get all the votes. I mean ... shit, Snead? Mallett?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How can you have a PREseason All-Anything team anyway?

They haven't played the fucking games, What are you voting on?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How many media members voted?
    How many coaches voted?

Much easier to find one out of 11 coaches than three out of 4,582,987 members of the media.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Really? Just ask the guy who collected the votes. He can tell you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I would expect a somewhat, um, higher level of expertise from the coaches.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I understand this one.

From what I've read, everybody thought it was Kiffin who didn't vote for Tebow since he's been so vocal with his hatred for Florida.

I don't think anybody even imagined it would be Spurrier, which is even a better story.

A couple homer writers not voting for Tebow: Not news.

The coach who brought the UF program to prominence not voting for Tebow: News.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Except that it wasn't Spurrier. Just someone that filled out the ballot for him.

Which makes the entire concept of a coaches' vote a joke anyway.

Next question: Did ANY coaches actually fill out their own ballots?

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Nice of Spurrier to throw his SID staff under the bus, BTW. His name was on the freakin' ballot. Own it, Steve.

As for the writers' vote, I see the double standard, but mizzou's right. It's not news. A couple of homers in MS voted for Snead. A homer in Arky voted for Ryan Mallet. Happens every year.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oh. I said it was Spurrier from the get-go. I'll definitely take credit for that one. It's even on one of the 836 Tebow threads somewhere. :)

11. Sure it's news. Not national, but damn sure local.
    If I'm a UF beat writer/columnist, while everybody in Gator Nation is bsuting Superior's chops, I'd be tracking down the three ink-stained (though probably radio) homers who didn't vote for Jesus Tebow and ask them why. It'd be my Sunday column.
    Honestly, I'd expect better from sports writers, even the Homers (i.e. radio) and UF haters. I'd also expect them to have a better knowledge of the SEC - you know, their beat - than Superior and the rest of the SEC coaches who vote for preseason space filler.

PS I think FoxSports or somebody had a column by someone who pointed out the media members who snubbed Tebow.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's pretty much it. You've got two guys in Mississippi and a third in Arkansas. That's who didn't vote for Tebow.

True, but it was his director of football operations - essentially a pseudo-assistant coach. So he's not even throwing the sports information folks under the bus, he's doing that to someone who does plenty of other favors for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted