1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC football TV deal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/07/24/sec-espn/index.html?eref=sihpT1

Does this mean I'm gonna get stuck watching Florida and Western Kentucky, instead of Penn State even though I live in Michigan?

I hope not. Unfortunately, the story doesn't say.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not on the major games like the 3:30 game; but you'll want to gouge your eyes out for that noon game...

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't think so.

I believe the regional packages they reference are being sold to local over the air affiliates. According to the e-mail we got, one of our regular networks, which used to carry the Jefferson Pilot/Lincoln Financial game of the week, will air the ESPN/SEC produced games.

It strikes me that nothing will really change that much, just the branding.

Just to follow up, here's what ESPN has as its current over-the-air schedule across all platforms. There is a ton to be added, I'm sure.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3901962

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

YAY Tennessee vs. Louisiana Lafayette.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Here's a .pdf grid from the Big Ten's site. Most of the TV details are already pencilled in.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2009-fbsched.pdf

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is the first SEC football thread in ages without a mention of Tim Tebow.

Oops ... :eek:

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Can't wait to watch all of Georgia's great intersectional matchups. Whoops ...

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, would you rather watch Georgia at Oklahoma State, Sept. 5 on ABC? Or would you prefer Arizona State at Georgia on Sept. 26, network TBA?

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

DirecTV, Mustang.

10. mb

mb Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

It's a much-needed rebranding. If anyone remembers, the Lincoln Financial aka Jefferson Pilot aka Raycom 11 a.m. game was shot in low-fi cameras from the Eisenhower era. Awful, awful stuff. ESPN will make sure the games are done well and in HD, a big concern for me. The SEC made a genius move taking care of this before the economy nosedived. The ACC is going to get SCREWED big time on their TV rights.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The SEC definitely one-upped The Big Televen with this deal. Even "The SEC Network," its "regional" package, will be available to approximately twice more households than the The Big Ten Network.

Draft saved Draft deleted