1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC deskers please note

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, May 19, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Putting a note on top of the daybook and planning digests about a week before the event is sufficient, I think.
    If something they had planned, that fell through at the last minute, then they should have moved an urgent bulletin to let everyone know.
    If it had been planned for them not to shoot it and not letting people know until the day before, is just stupid.

2. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Well, Henry, at least Ole Miss did its part to make sure it wasn't a weeklong issue for us.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Tis true. My guy has almost gotten home from over there already.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Two and a BBQ for Ole Miss. Guess that fixes our deadline issues for Monday's edition, which would have been stretched back if Ole Miss were there in the title game. On AP exchange, there were only photos from the Tulane/UCF game from the C-USA tournament after the American shot USM on Wednesday. I don't get that.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If it's not the mess, it'll do until the mess gets here.

6. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

After all the bashing AP took on this thread, I just wanted to give some props to Alabama AP writer John Zenor. Within two minutes (maybe less) of the finish of the second LSU-Georgia game at 11:30 Saturday, he had his 3-inch capsule moved on the wire.
    He did a damn good job with the other game stories, too. We were able to piece them all together for a decent story on the day's action.
    If you read this, John, give yourself a pat on the back. Nice work. Thank you.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Having covered LOTS of college baseball for AP in my youth, it is remarkably easy to send 300-500 words the moment the game is over. Baseball lends itself to that quickie writing.

That said, Zenor is money - perhaps the best pound-for-pound hack they have. :)

RB

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Zenor's a good dude, and you're right. He's money on deadline.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Noticeably low numbers in the press box this week. And, more Web guys than ever, and fewer print folks in a long, long time.

I have no hard evidence to back that up. Just my eyes and ears.

10. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Oh, I know baseball is easy. But that was ridiculously fast. I was throwing together a few details off of Gamecast when it ended, and piecing together some quotes and such from the earlier games, and almost as soon as I looked up again he had sent his stuff. I would've been happy with 10 or 15 minutes later.

Draft saved Draft deleted