1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC deskers please note

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, May 19, 2009.

1. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Either way (AP or the American on the wire) works for me. We've officially hit the lull between high school sports and summer sports, and pictures of something other than the NBA playoffs and major league baseball would be nice to have for the front page.

And another thought occurred -- if the AP isn't shooting the SEC tournament, will any pictures from the Birmingham News pop up on the wire?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They covered Kentucky ...

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

This is retarded ... AP didn't shoot the Seniors Event in B'ham this past weekend either. WTF?

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My understanding, and this is second-hand, is that the AP has quit shooting Champions Tour events. (I wonder if that includes the seniors' majors. I dunno.)

5. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

And that's fine ... but you'd think when a state has a limited number of professional events, state AP would shoot those events for its customers inside the state

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Duh, AP doesn't care about its state customers anymore.
    AP works to fill the news hole for yahoo and the other online sites that pay for the wire.
    All the local bureaus are working on national angle stories now. Any local stuff getting churned out is accidental, or something they tried to make national and couldn't.

I wish people would wake up and realize this.

7. HejiraHenry

Which is why we're tearing up our deal with them, sooner rather than later.

8. times38

times38 Member

I sure hope my paper manages some local content between now and Saturday.

9. HejiraHenry

So, on a business/moral level ... what should have been the AP's responsibility for letting member papers know about something they have done for a long time that they suddenly decided not to do?

10. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I think, at the very least, a note or bulletin moved across the sports wire would have been nice. A mass e-mail would also be good, but I think more people would see it if it were sent across the wire.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I certainly would hope AP shoots the U.S. Senior Open in two months, the only pro golf event in Indiana this year.

12. HejiraHenry

Call/e-mail to significant SE's would have been nice ... would not have taken the bureau people that long.

Draft saved Draft deleted