1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC college towns ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ledbetter, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Few can. I was the valudicktorean.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Arkansas: Hermans looks like a dump, but really good. I also vote for AQ Chicken House, just down the road in Springdale.
    LSU: As noted, Gerry DiNardo's old joint is tasty.
    Alabama: I thought Dreamland was pretty good.
    Auburn: Hooters, plus $100 tip will get you a BJ.
    Vandy: California Grill? Sunset Grill (thanks to TigerVols). Fancypants eating joint during the day, at night turns into Vandy hottie trust fund hangout. Nothing on the menu is over $10 after 10 or 11 and they have wireless internet.
    Tennessee: If you stay at the Shithole Inn (Days Inn on the strip) walking distance to most joints. I favored O'Charley's, mostly because you could order appetizers until 2. I don't remember the name, but some joint will also deliver food. I recall something about gravy fries.
    Ole Miss: Loud Larry's. Get the spinach calzone.
    Miss. State: Hardee's. Had no idea the town had a good BBQ joint.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sunset Grill....but there's a place across the street that looks like a garage that's even more happening now.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And if you look really, really hard, you might even find a Vandy fan. There are at least 300 in Nashville.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Oxford has a vibrant literary culture, plenty of great places to get drunk and a comely coalition of the willing.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Proud Larry's.

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Thanks again for all the input everyone. I may give Little Dooey a try after the game today.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Good call Ledbetter.

It'll be a lot better than this game.

Mississippi State plays Tulane next week. Maybe then they'll finally score.

I'm still tryin' to visualize that Satan's Denny's south of Gainesville, however.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They have opened up a second Dreamland in Tuscaloosa north of the river. Avoid at all costs. The original is off Jug Factory Road south of the interstate. And it helps if you can go sometime other than gameday.

Cypress Inn is also north of the river. Great food at tolerable prices - think steak, well-prepared chicken, etc. Nice for when you want something other than BBQ. The Gameday crew has done their Friday night dinner here in the past.

And when in Knoxville, Copper Cellar is another good choice. Right there on the strip.

10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Don't know if the place serves food -- I think it does -- but Preservation Pub is a nice joint for a pint or two.

11. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I second Dixiehack's suggestion of the Cypress Inn. Tremendous, tremendous restaurant.

15th street Diner is pretty tasty.

But I met some relatives at a place I'd never heard of last night on my way back home from Starkghanistan. It's called Nick's in the Sticks. It's way down 15th street past the BF Goodrich factory. Wow. Steack was good and the potato was nice. I'd suggest it to anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted