1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC college towns ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ledbetter, Sep 7, 2006.

1. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

The REAL Dreamland, out on Jug Farm Road (or whatever the hell it's called) in Tuscaloosa is amazing. The faux Dreamlands are terrible. I was thrilled to go to the one in Baton Rouge, and I left there feeling so disappointed -- it was worse than finding out that Santa Claus didn't exist.
    Another good seafood joint in Baton Rouge -- Parrain's. It's not too far from campus. And you're close to some fine drinking establishments like the Happy Note, Duvic's, Ivar's and Chelsea's Cafe. Chelsea's has pretty good food and good bands too...I saw Ted Leo there this spring.

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

What it says it that someone hasn't tried real hard to find a better place to eat. In Gainesville, you can get very good seafood at either Ballyhoo Grill about a mile and a half from campus or Harry's downtown. For steaks and a "nice" meal, Mark's US Prime is the way to go. Sushi, Dragonfly downtown is good and the scenery is better. Stunning that there's anything edible in such a "shithole", but we do the best we can.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

That would be Napolatano's, an Italian place just west of I-75. It's a popular hangout, but for better Italian food Amelia's downtown is the way to go.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

If you're in Knoxville and don't go to Calhoun's, you're foolish. Great ribs, sides and microbrews. As for late-night, get a bacon cheeseburger from Gus's. And Vic and Bill's for breakfast. If you want pizza, go to Barley's in the Old City. Barley's has plenty of beer selections, too. Charley Pepper's on the strip has decent wings and good sandwiches, and OCI on the other end of the strip has fabulous loaded baked potatoes.

And one of my favorites in the SEC is Rosey Baby's in Starkville. Good cajun food ... too bad it's in Starkville.

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I don't think it's been mentioned (maybe it's too obvious) but Weaver D's in Athens has some of the best soul food I've ever had.
    It's like an old Southern grandma who really knows how to cook opened up a cafe, with amazing prices and portions. I go every time I'm in town.

7. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

There was a place in Fayetteville, I think it was called Doe's. Best fricken steak around. My god, it was as big as my TV. Huge. And very, very tasty.

There was another steak place in Lexington that we went to, Tubby Smith walked in. Apparently he's a regular. Great steak there, too.

8. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Here's the deal. Go to Weaver D's for the sides. Best sweet potato souffle you'll ever eat. EVER. And the mac n' cheese there is to die for (you honestly could die if you at too much of it.).

But for real fried chicken, the best friend chicken aroud, go to Wilson's. You won't be disappointed.

9. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

I'm still working up the courage to go to Dreamland when I'm in Tuscaloosa this year.

I went about a year ago with another scribe and we ate too many ribs. Right before I left I swabbed a piece of bread in the bottom of the rib basket and ate it. Big mistake.

I spent the next 90 minutes crouched behind a gas station on McFarland waiting for the pain that never came. Two sprites and a bottle of Pepto eventually cooled my GI distress.

I can't eat like I'm 19 any more, although I tried that day.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you beat me to it. i love me some weaver d's, but wilson's is the shit. and, well, it's got a great location, next to the best bar in town. if you're into those kinda of things (but not sure if their hours overlap)

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Doe's is a chain now. The original is in Greenville, Miss., and it's better than any of the franchised places.

http://www.doeseatplace.com/

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The best barbecue in Oxford is a toss-up between B's (the gas station), and my personal favorite, a hole-in-the-wall called Handy Andy's on North Lamar (North of the square). There's also a place called the Ribcage that's OK. Not nearly as good, however, as the original (which is now closed) in Tupelo.

The best restaurant, albeit a good bit pricey, is the Yocona River Inn. It's an old house about 10 miles outside of town. Don't sell beer, so bring your own. And be prepared to drop about 100 bones. But it's worth every penny.

Best cheap, in-town place is probably Ajax -- if you like homefood. They have great vegetable sides, like squash casserole, fried eggplant, creamed corn, etc. Two of the biggest sandwiches I've ever eaten came from Ajax: the deuce (a huge ass hamburger with mushrooms, bacon and sauted onions) and a catfish po-boy that was so big I couldn't finish it. And if I don't finish a plate of food, it's because there was too much on it. And that ain't often. Right, Heija? ;D

Proud Larry's is good for the calzones, pizza and pretty good beer selection. It's the hippie bar. Never been to City Grocery, Old Venice is overrated and their pastas are crappy. Speaking of pasta, Pearl Street Pasta (on South Lamar across from the Ribcage and Larry's) is pretty hard to beat. It's not as good as the original (of course, they never are) in Natchez, but it's still pretty darn good. Be sure to eat a salad and leave with a bottle of dressing.

Oxford Steak Company is very hard to find in its alley, but is very, very good. It's a little pricey, too, but worth it.

There's a Greek place that's OK on North Lamar, also. It's called Volta's.

Draft saved Draft deleted