1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC college towns ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ledbetter, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Turbodog on tap?

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Don't think so, but check out the link anyway ...

http://www.thechimes.com/

3. If most bars around where I live had it on tap, I would be first be fired for not showing up to work and second die of cirrhosis.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hmm, I thought Fat Tire was pretty common. Even a couple of dive bars here have Fat Tire on tap. And my favorite pub has the New Belgium 1554 on tap.

5. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Honestly, Linda's Pot Roast at 5-star was the best thing on the menu. I did enjoy their daily special, but the pot roast rocked.

As for Caliente, God how I miss that place.

I tell you where else you can go in Athens. Porterhouse had a tremendous Sunday brunch deal. $10 all you can eat brunch and my god, it was the best brunch I've ever had. it was top notch. Oh the restaurants I can name in that town that I love.

6. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Athens probably has more great places than any other SEC town. There are so many -- Taco Stand (had to list it first), Five and Ten, The Grit, Porterhouse, Last Resort, Depalma's, 5 Star Day, Agua Linda -- that I'm going to have a hard time limited my list to three or four.

Hoops, I think Caliente Cab is coming back over on the east side, near Cedar Shoals.

In Oxford, I was always a Proud Larrys fan (worked there for a while). Old Venice Pizza Co. was always good and City Grocery was exceptional. For those with the time, take a trip outside town to Taylor and visit the little catfish joint Taylor Grocery. Ajax never did much for me, but it's been a while since I gave it a try. The Downtown Grill is way overrated, though it's a nice place to grab a drink and look out on the square.

Thanks for the suggestions. And thanks for the link, Sxy.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

When at Vandy, be sure to go across West End where Elliston Place slices into it (there's an Eckerd drug store in the triangle) and find the Rotier's on Elliston. Fantastic hamburgers. After that, roll down the block back torwards downtown about 3 blocks and you'll find the best milkshakes in the South at the Elliston Place Soda Shop.

Or you can always just eat a steak at Flemings', adjacent to the stadium, provided you have a nice fat expense account.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

they had a depalma's in t-town, too. but somehow, it just wasn't as good

oh, and last resort. jesus, how could i forget that. especially since i was on an expense account last time i had it. so good. and desert? wow. don't skip desert.

t-stand for the cheese dip then i'm moving on (had waaaay too much t-stand when i was at the r&b). but damn, i do love the cheese dip.

the grit is the best vegitarian place i can imagine (i dug guaranteed back in the day, too. great grilled cheese)

dude, the day the new caliente cab opens up, let me know and i'll be on my way to the greatest town on earth

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Auburn: The Barbecue House cannot be beat for breakfast. Cheese grits really are wonderful. For dinner, I'd go with Provinos, an Italian place near one of the newer hotels (Marriott, I think).

Tuscaloosa: What hoops said.

LSU: I'm good with what everyone else has mentioned, but I wanted to add one place --Mike Anderson's Seafood. A little ways out and a little pricey, but dammit, the gumbo at that place might just be the best thing I've eaten.

Miss. St.: Can't tell you where to go, but I can tell you where not to -- The Waffle House (hey, passy). Everything tastes like dish soap.

Florida: There's some place we ate at, and it's been a couple of years now so the name escapes me, but it was Spurrier's favorite place.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised no one has anything to say about Columbia.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I am fairly sure I was at the same table when someone on this board had his first meal at Mike Anderson's. It was not his last. By far.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I really don't like gumbo, but the stuff that place makes, it's not gumbo. It's like a little bowl of absolute heaven.

Draft saved Draft deleted