1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC college towns ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ledbetter, Sep 7, 2006.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

When in Baton Rouge go to Louie's, the Chimes or Ruffino's. Louie's is a greasy spoon right by campus and it has amazing hash browns. The Chimes is a college bar with a gazillion different beers on tap. Of course, it's PACKED on football weekends. Ruffino's is an Italian/Cajun joint, run by a former LSU lineman (it used to be Gerry DiNardo's restaurant) -- but it's way far from campus.

2. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

The chimes has Fat Tire, on tap if I'm not mistaken.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The best places in Gainesville are chains (Chili's, Applebee's, etc.) which speaks volumes about how crappy the food is there. And is it just me, or has every Applebee's I've gone into, no matter what the location, has sucked out loud for the last five years or so.
    Obviously, Baton Rogue benefits from being close to New Orleans. More variety than other SEC towns (Starkeville, Tuscaloosa, etc.) which seem to specialize only in BBQ.

4. Toomer's Corners in Auburn, just for the lemonade.

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The Gainesville burrito place is Burrito Brothers.
    There's Leonardo's on University, which is the pizza staple of the college crowd. But I've heard Satchel's is the best pizza in town.
    There's the swamp, the uber-Greek hang out. Gator's Dockside a couple miles west of campus is pretty much the same as a BW3. It might even be a chain. I know there's also one in Jacksonville, so that might not even be on your radar. Same with Calico Jacks, which is quite popular.
    There's a good, hole-in-the-wall patio-only Mexican place on 13th Street north of University called El Indio.
    Downtown there's a Cuban place called Emiliano's.
    43rd Street Deli is said to be good. As is Hogan's Heroes on 13th.

For BBQ: David's on 39th. The best, though, is Backyard BBQ in Newberry, 15 miles west of Gainesville.

That's a start for Gainesville. But Tallahassee, it ain't.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I second (or third) The Chimes on the edge of LSU's campus. Much better food than one would think from what on the surface looks mostly like a place to drink a wide variety of beers.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When Chili's is your best restaurant, that says a lot...

9. There is little finer pleasure in life than eating anything cooked from that joint. It is fantastic.

In Tuscaloosa, it's hard to look past the 15th Street Diner. Second the nod on Ruffino's in Baton Rouge, too.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i know our boy ledbetter said he's got athens covered... but other may not

my favorite (now that i hear caliente cab has closed) is 5 star day. it's right across from the arch on broad street. i so miss the stuffed meatloaf, or whatever the special of the day is

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Last time I was in Oxford I couldn't make it to Ajax. I considered that a tragedy.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't most bars have it on tap now?

Draft saved Draft deleted