1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC, CBS come to terms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 14, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cinci is part of the rotating seven in-state teams. However OSU has played at Cinci -- infact, damn near lost if I recall. Something like 16-13. And teams can have tough schedules without playing the SEC; it's not an affirmation that a team plays a tough schedule.
    And I still maintain what I wrote before, it's SEC fanbois like Deskslave that give the haters a big old target. Want to know why the SEC media in general get an unfairly bad rap for being homers, it's people like deskslave.
    Oh, and that same Michigan team you love to piss on? It's 19-5-1 against the SEC and 7-2 since 1989.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ha! Way to go, slappy. Michigan beats Florida in a Florida bowl game, but can't beat App State and Oregon at home. All hail Urban!

On the other hand, much respect for Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas and the other SEC teams who realize that a real intersectional non-league game doesn't mean inviting Troy or Louisiana-Lafayette to town every season, or riding a bus to Atlanta or Clemson every other year.

One other thing (guilty of piling on?): In the same 40-year period in which Georgia couldn't find its way out of Dixie with a map, Microville Tech played intersectional games at Tennessee (several times), LSU (several times), Auburn, Texas (several times), Nebraska, Baylor, Oklahoma, Kansas, Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, Colorado, Wyoming, Syracuse, Louisville and Cincinnati, and even made a couple trips to Georgia.

Until the last two, the ADs over that period generally didn't know shit from shinola about running a BCS-level athletic program. But they still managed to schedule an intersectional non-conference football game. It's not rocket science.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I'm Dickens Cider and I approved this message.

Although, I generally don't bash the SEC. I generally don't give a fuck.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If bowl games don't count Slappy (your words), then Michigan is 1-0 against the SEC since 1989; that was 2006 at home against Vanderbilt.

I misspoke earlier, BTW, Georgia's visit to Ann Arbor was in 1965. Since then, Michigan has played two scheduled (non-bowl) games against SEC teams. Both of those were Vanderbilt.

I will give the Wolverines props for traveling though. They've averaged one intersectional road game about every three years in the last three decades; for most major programs, it'd be unrealistic to expect more. It's a big country, and they only have four or five road games most years. On that point, they certainly look better than Georgia, and I suspect their attitude about the Notre Dame games is something akin to Georgia's attitude about Georgia Tech or Clemson.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I love ya and all, but that's asinine. Blacksburg to Tiger Stadum is 892 miles one way per Google maps. Indiana, Illinois and Purdue are all closer than that, not to mention eight members of the Big XII.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Would ya'll mind hopping in your flying DeLoreans, going back to December, and talking so much about the schedules then? Perhaps when, say, a certain team from Manoa, HI, was stroking its junk about getting into the BCS?

I'd appreciate it. Because my bowl party got pretty boring when that team turned out to be a steaming pile of shit.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I could point out that were it not for the Big Ten's intransigence, Georgia might have played USC in the Rose Bowl. I could point out that the Big Ten's remarkably short-sighted devotion to "tradition" created not one, but two bowl mismatches, and left the Big Ten looking ridiculous in the process. I could point out that the Big Ten seems to feel, for some reason, that sending its second-place team to be slaughtered in a bowl game is better for college football and its fans than creating a compelling matchup in one game and a winnable one for its own team in the process.

I could, but I won't.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

USC would have kicked the crap out of Georgia. The SEC is better off with how things shook out.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't Georgia a (admittedly good) third-place team last year?

So one could convincingly argue that Michigan, which plays in one of the two conferences that through the decades combined to make the Rose Bowl THE MOST POPULAR bowl game, had more of a "right" to play in Pasadena than did Georgia, which, while a good team, didn't even win its own division of the SEC?

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm as big an SEC fanboy as you'll find, but everything worked out perfectly for the Dawgs last year. Lost the SECE tiebreaker, so they didn't have to lose to LSU in the SECCG. That opened the door to a BCS game, since the team they tied with took another L. And in said BCS game they ran into a giant FRAUD!~! It was their best-case scenario, because they weren't beating LSU and they damn sure weren't beating Southern Cal in the Rose Bowl.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I didn't say they wouldn't have. I'm just saying it would have been a more compelling matchup. And if USC had kicked the crap out of Georgia, think of the ammunition you'd have against me and the other fanboi loosers! :D

I do think Georgia probably would have lost to USC. I'm not so sure they would have lost to LSU.

And, no. Michigan cannot make that argument. For one thing, though it's splitting hairs, Michigan was third out of 11 in a conference that does not have divisions. Georgia was third out of 12 in a conference that does, and so at least technically was a second-place team. I know, I know. (And to split even more hairs, LSU was 7-2 in the SEC, Georgia was 6-2, and Tennessee was 6-3.) For another, far more important thing, Michigan won only eight games last year, which makes it ineligible for at-large selection to a BCS game.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They would have wiped the floor with LSU that particular Saturday. The Tigrahs were lucky to escape UT as it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted