1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC, CBS come to terms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 14, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And as I said. It's good that Richt is sacking up and playing a stiffer non-conference schedule on a national scale. For 40 years, Vince Dooley, Ray Goff, Jim Donnan and Richt chose not to.
    More teams across the board should do it. And when teams from the Big Ten or Big 12 or SEC beat their chests about being undefeated and how they should be highly ranked, but play far lesser schools outside their conference (and spare me the "week in and week out, our teams prove themselves because our league is the best" propaganda -- from any conference), I call bullshit on them too.
    It's like in 2006 when Wisconsin was whining about not going to a BCS bowl with a non-conference slate of Bowling Green, Western Illinois, San Diego State and Buffalo. If LSU gets left out this season, it has North Texas, Tulane, Troy and Appalachian State to thank.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Of course, if Florida and Georgia are so concerned about losing a home game every other year, they could always simply agree not to play in Jacksonville, and go home-and-home, like 99 percent of Division I-A. But how much of a paycheck - the real reason that game is still played in Jacksonville, screw the tradition angle - would they sacrifice?

Ninth conference game.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Richt came on in 2001. He didn't have any control at all over at least the first few schedules, because the contracts are done several years in advance.

Michigan can start complaining about other teams' non-conference schedules when it decides to schedule 1-for-1. I'm quite sure Georgia would agree to a 1-for-1 at some point. Hell, they might even do a 1-1-and-1, with the third game played at a neutral site, or even a 1-1-2, with two games at neutral sites, maybe Ford Field and the Georgia Dome. I'd rather Georgia not start playing at the Dome, personally.

And as far as getting out of the region, Georgia is playing, from 2006-16, home-and-home series with Oregon, Colorado, Oklahoma State, Louisville and Clemson. That's a road game in every time zone, and a series against at least one team (that it does not now normally play) from every BCS conference but one. You know which one.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

Playing Middle Tennessee, Tulane, and LaTech last season didn't prevent LSU from mauling its only two "marquee out-of-conference" games: 48-7 against VaTech/38-24 BCS NC.

ULM, Arizona, Western Illinois, and LaTech didn't hurt them that bad in 2003, either.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bowls dont count for one... and I didn't count Va. Tech (tho I really could have and thought about it) because it's still a team from the south.
    And I think that Va. Tech and Arizona are far more noteworthy than Troy.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Funny you should say bowls don't count. Given the way Ohio State has played in the last two title games, they don't seem to think they count either.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since the regular season counts toward getting to the bowls, I don't see why a rational person would count bowl games as playing a non-conference foe, which helps teams get to bowls.
    OSU has sucked in the last two bowls; but it also gets there by playing teams during the season out of its confort zone and general region....

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well. Playing <b>a</b> team out of its comfort zone and general region.

Although I'm not sure Washington is really outside Ohio State's comfort zone.

SEC teams, on the other hand?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. spnited

spnited Active Member

So does this mean I can watch the greatest conference in the history of the world every week and learn what it is all you homer fucking fasnboiloosers get so excited about?

10. ohio state's non-conference schedule perennially has one or two tough games on it. uh, texas anyone? and when the washington home-and-home was scheduled, it was a program on the cusp of being in the top 10 perennially, at least until gambler rick was shown the door.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

For the next five years, it has one a year. One. And there sure as shit aren't any SEC teams in that mix. Not sure if that's their fault or the SEC's. But there ain't no SEC teams there.

And every year except 2011, there's three home-game patsies on the schedule. 2011 still has a game against TBA. (And I ain't buyin' Cincinnati not being a patsy, at least not yet. Maybe it'll be a challenge. But there also ain't a return game.)

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't. You stick to the Mets and Aaron Heilman.

Draft saved Draft deleted