1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC, CBS come to terms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 14, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sigh. This is a tired discussion, but I'll play along. Yes, the last time Georgia went outside the south was in 1964 against Michigan. Georgia won. Michigan, it seems, won't return Georgia's phone calls now. Georgia has had discussions with all manner of teams in the midwest and far west. Notre Dame won't do home and home. Michigan won't either. Georgia had a deal with Oregon before Oregon backed out. So now Georgia's going to Arizona State and Colorado and Oklahoma State.

Yes, the reputation is deserved, but it's also slow to shake, and there are two sides to that equation.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Good, SEC football is entertaining. Now, the SEC needs to add a ninth regular-season conference game (so do the Big 10, Big 12 and ACC) instead of beating up on Louisiana-Monroe and Louisiana-Lafayette every fall.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I have observed that they're finally getting off the dime in upcoming schedules, but Vince Dooley's long-time recalcitrance remains amusing.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Dude, 1964. Friggin' forty four years. Somewhere in that nearly half a century, UGA could have found a game outside the south if they had so desired. To imply that any of that blame can be shared outside Athens doesn't fly.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Blackledge is with ABC/ESPN. This will be his second season. It's Verne and Gary Danielson on the mike, for the second year in a row.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

ULM would contest that thinking.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Little Debbie's best beau would agree.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

For the first 35 years of that time, yeah, I'd agree with you. As I said, the reputation is deserved. But the other school has to agree to play. If Georgia's scheduling since 2000 has any failings, it's not for lack of trying. It is in part because the Michigans and Notre Dames and Oregons won't agree to swap home games. To ignore that is to apply selective logic.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I see. And have they tried the Michigan States, Purdues, Pitts, and Washington States of the football world?

10. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Tennessee has no problem in that area..

Since 2001 they have had Syracuse (when they were decent), Notre Dame (3 times), home-and-home with Miami, home-and-home with Cal, then adding a home-and-home with UCLA this year. Home-and-homes upcoming in a couple of years with Oregon (and North Carolina and NCST), along with Oklahoma, Ohio State and Nebraska in the future.

I'm pretty sure UGA could've played a decent non-conference opponent aside from Georgia Tech and Clemson (way back in 2002)..

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

Why would they? They all suck.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At times, yes. At others, no.
    But at least you're venturing outside the comfort zone and playing a team from a BCS conference.
    As has been said before, would be interesting to see a team from the South play in the North in November, as it would seeing a team from sea level play at elevation or a team from the North play in the southern humidity and heat in late August/ Early November.

Draft saved Draft deleted