1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC, CBS come to terms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 14, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Disagree. Vandy stays because if the SEC is an academic mission first, it needs Vandy for the image; if vandy is pushed out, the other SEC schools and Slive would be skewered nationally. Vandy pushes other schools academically. And then they boot Mississippi for failure to compete...
    If it does happen, Louisville would be a likely candidate or Florida State.
    They'd have to go to 12 teams to avoid losing its football championship game and be like the Big 10, which it likes to ridicule for not having a championship game.

2. times38

times38 Member

I've never bought the seven home game argument. I grew up following Florida State, and in the 1990s they never played more than six games at home (although they did buy out a few ACC road trips for neutral games in Jacksonville, Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale) and on three or four occasions only played five.

They managed to completely revamp their stadium and remain a national power with those numbers.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perhaps, but college athletics now want football to pay everyone's bill. Seven of 11 isn't enough; seven of 12 and wrestling takes the hit. (Seven of nine is fine as always...)

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Granted the SEC is an awesome conference and has growing markets, but anybody think this is going to widen the competitive balance between the SEC and other conferences in football and hoops?

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I've always though Georgia Tech belonged in the SEC, but I can't see the league ever booting Vandy's academics.

Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Bama and Auburn are consistently in the Princeton Review's top 100 — all of them in the top 90, I think — but Vandy is a completely different level.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Umm, hoops and the SEC has always been interesting.
    I was told earlier that the only time JP got high ratings was when either Arkansas or Kentucky played and that was in those home states, plus the Memphis market.
    Mostly because of its proximity to Arkansas.
    That's even with Florida's national success and Tennessee's sudden resurgence.
    Ratings haven't always followed success.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's because JP hoops made JP football look like an Emmy Award lifer. Many affiliates would only pick up home-market games, or send half of them to their poor cousins at the local MyTV or CW affiliate, or stick them on tape delay after Leno or other crazy shit. Lets see what someone who can market properly can do.

And Vandy is competitive in every sport but football. The only school it would have made sense to poach was Virginia Tech, and that door closed when they joined the ACC.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think you are giving JP's production values too much credit here.
    As I told someone in the office earlier, the local high school game on Comcast has better production values.
    Just awful.
    Of course it will be interesting to see what happens when popular shows get bumped. I used to get seriously pissed about how my local ABC affiliate would jack around Lost to show Auburn-Mississippi State or some other bullshit conference game I didn't care about on Wednesday night.

9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Auburn's SEC Championship in 2004 finally broke their tie for SEC Championships with Georgia Tech (who has 5).

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

EDSBS starts a "Save the Daves" campaign ...

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2008/08/26/save-the-daves/

Draft saved Draft deleted