1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC calling foul on its 2 divisions for hoops

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 2, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lipstick on a pig?

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/jun/01/mens-basketball-moves-toward-one-big-league/

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

They should do it on W-L and RPI. Bama's RPI last year was, what-13,459?

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

A conference's strength in various sports is cyclical.
    The conference will have times, like all big conferences, when several teams qualify for the NCAA tourney.
    Going to 1 through 12 is a good idea and I hope they start playing home and homes every season for each team. Get rid of some of the "preseason" per-Christmas games if necessary.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That will never happen in a million years. There is no way any BCS school is going to give away guaranteed home games (and mostly guaranteed victories) for a longer conference schedule.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Clearest, most concise stuff I've read out of Destin this week.
    Good job, Gribble.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Good move. You can hang all the SEC Western Division banners you want (talking to you, Mississippi State; Ole Miss, you don't have any room to be giggling) and if you don't get to the NCAAs it's meaningless.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Home and home would be 22 games in a 12-team conference. That'll never happen.

That said, I can't imagine any conference having a worse plan than the Big East. It's not that I have a problem with playing 18 games, I don't care for the randomness (or the pure TV greed) that sets up what schools play each other twice.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My guess is they will have one "protected" rivalry that is a guaranteed home and home (think UNC-Duke) and four others that rotate. What will be interesting is who Tennessee gets for a permanent rival - UK or Vandy.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is there any hoops rivalry that has any real meaning in the SEC? It seems like it's been Kentucky and Florida for the last decade.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A better question would be, if Tennessee isn't UK's permanent rival, who is? UK fans don't really have another school in the league they really hate like they hate UT.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is how I would do it...

UK-Florida
    UT-Vandy
    Georgia-South Carolina
    LSU-Arkansas
    Ole Miss-MSU
    Bama-Auburn

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's pretty good.