1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle's Steve Kelley hates anonymous comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

To the point that he cites them as one of the reasons he is retiring.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/199712/seattle-times-columnist-cant-stand-commenters-retires/

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Seattle's Steve Kelly hates anonymous comments

He should learn how to box. It does wonders for your psyche.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Reader comments are awful. Which is why none of us should read them.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's not his only reason for retiring, of course:

However, I'll agree that the anonymous online comments are vile. They usually pile up on political and/or news stories, but occasionally, even here in Podunk, we get anonymous cheap shots at prep coaches, teachers, etc.

The worst part? Our paper has been told by lawyers not to remove nasty, libelous stuff because if we do, then whatever gets on our web site is "approved" by us.

I understand the legal reason, but absolutely hate it. HATE it.

The other alternative, of course, is to shut them all down. But our company (like most) is as desperate as a toothless meth freak for any drop of ad revenue we can still get, and those anonymous nutjobs crank up the click count.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Kelley.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My bad. Sorry.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's quite the legal scenario. My understanding is you can have comment moderation and choose not to let a comment get in, but if you're going to let a comment in, you can't edit it.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ignore readers at your own peril. You have to learn to read between the hate, but those comments can be illuminating. We're here to serve readers, and the less we listen, the more they turn away.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

We're not here to ask readers if they want fries with that. We're here to inform them, to provide perspective. We're not here to bend to focus-groupery.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If a newspaper wouldn't publish an anonymous letter, it shouldn't publish an anonymous comment. It's really that simple. I suspect that the amount of advertising revenue generated by comments reaches the low three figures annually.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Reader comments, like SportsJournalists.com posts, do serve as a good look into a large cross-section of users, including the radical thinkers. You get a good look at the intensity on all sides of an issue, and it shows you how fucked-up many people are today.

I read the comments for entertainment, but I also read them with concern.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How many readers are involved in the commenting portion? And of those, how many are in the geographic footprint where they would actually be relevant to advertisers?

What you're saying has been said for the past 15 years and has never been shown to be anywhere close to meaningful.

Draft saved Draft deleted