1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle-Whistler/Vancouver border crossing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by andrews_mom, Aug 3, 2008.

1. andrews_mom

andrews_mom New Member

I'll be traveling by car from Seattle to Vancouver the Thursday before Labor Day, and back to Seattle from Whistler the Sunday before Labor Day. How long do you think I'll be waiting at the border during that holiday weekend?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, I thought I was done with stuff like this after sophomore algebra. :(

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The last time I tried it, the wait back into the U.S. was 2 hours. (That was 1995 or so.)

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Depends on if the rockslide near Whistler is cleaned up. Blocked the road, trapped the attendees at the recent Mozilla developers' conference.

Being computer geeks, they filed a bug report.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Are you talking the I-5/99 crossing at Peace Arch? We were there a few weeks ago, and it was pretty rough coming back. Tons of construction at the border, so we had to wait close to an hour to get back in. Of course, that had a lot to do with the fact we got in the one line with the militant guard who was sure everyone in his line was smuggling something illegal back into the U.S., but don't get me started about him.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Take the truck route crossing (I believe its 16) just east of the Peace Arch and bring a book just to be safe. It's never longer than the Peace Arch and usually quite a bit shorter.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I was just typing about taking truck customs... to add to what DanOregon said, going southbound there's a sign that'll tell you wait times at each crossing and you can then pick your poison.

8. Giggity

Giggity Member

The trip from Vancouver to Whistler is a nightmare right now because of Olympics-related construction.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Depends on what time of day you'll be driving through. I went up in November on a Thursday afternoon (non-holiday weekend) and it took about 45 minutes to get into Canada, but we came back that night - around 12:30 a.m. - and there was one other car heading back into Washington/the U.S. at that time, so we only waited a minute or two.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm gonna go 3 hours, 38 minutes total.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Do not take the Peace Arch (I-5) crossing.
    The construction has traffic reduced to something like two lanes southbound.

Take Exit 274 for the Pacific Highway/truck customs. Don't worry, cars are allowed (53.2 miles from Bellingham, Wash., to downtown Vancouver)

or

Take Exit 256 in Bellingham and drive north on Guide Meridian (WA 539) 15 miles to the border (56.7 miles from Bellingham to downtown Vancouver).

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Check this before you go....

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

Draft saved Draft deleted