1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle travel tips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Nov 6, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Of course, Seattle was much-discussed around here during the time of the SJ gathering, which I didn't attend. I've never been to Seattle but will be going soon. Travel tips, please. My lodging and transport will be with a local friend, so no advice needed there. I just bought the Lonely Planet Seattle book but haven't read it yet. Thoughts?

2. joe

joe Active Member

Anywhere they serve Manny's on tap.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Go to Slugger's by Safeco Field and ask them to make a shot of West Nile Virus. Tell 'em IJAG sent you.

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

If your friend is local, he or she should be able to point you in the direction of some solid restaurants, bars and/or coffee houses near where you are staying. Any good Seattle-ite will know those things. Possibly even a farmer's market, too. (I highly recommend the West Seattle Market on Sundays)

As for other things ...

-- Walk through Pike (not Pike's!) Place Market. You don't need to buy anything, but at least get the experience. The original Starbucks is there, as well as the guys who throw fish.
    -- Check out the Space Needle. If it's cloudy and wet (likely will be this time of year), it's not worth the money to the top, but if you happen on it on a clear day, ride to the top and check out Seattle.
    -- Take a ferry ride to Bainbridge or Bremerton or another stop. Just walk on one of the ones from downtown Seattle. No need to wander around at the other end, unless you really want to, but the ferry ride is awesome.

WI, if you tell me the area of Seattle you'll be staying in and things you like to do when you visit a new city or subjects you're really interested in, I can point you in more directions. Shoot me a PM if you want and I'll let you know.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Good lord, can't anyone on this site go to a new town without making a federal case out of it? ;D

The best avice I can give you is to put off your trip until summer. And if you can't do that, listen to Joe -- drink a lot of Manny's.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ask the friend you're staying with, first and foremost. Locals often have much more insight.

When I was there in 2001, I had a blast at the Experience Music Project. It kicks the everlasting shit out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. If you go there, the Space Needle is just a few steps away. Might as well take the ride up if you're there.

Pike Place. Eat breakfast there. There's little diner in one of the lower levels (I think it was used in Sleepless in Seattle) which was awesome. And if you're there, do sample some of the good fruit. Stand a healthy distance away from the men throwing fish.

Other tips: Ride the monorail. Order seafood from the window at Ivar's. Walk around the waterfront area. Take the ferry to Bainbridge and take it right back (there's nothing to see on the island and it's a little bit scary). See a movie at Cinerama which boasts one of the best screens in the entire world. Avoid Pioneer Square.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

My friend is a twelve-stepper, so we won't be drinking. Very odd that my week in Seattle might be one of the most sober weeks of my adult life.

Carry on...

8. Don't waste your time at Starbucks. On damn near every corner there's either a smaller local chain or a mom and pop shop that makes better coffee.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Find a place that has salmon hash on its breakfast menu.

Mmmmmm.

10. Good bars in the 1st and Wall Street area, I believe.

Also, if you can catch a Huskies game, it's the most beautiful stadium view in college football.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Elliott Bay bookstore.

Big Time pizza restaurant, over on University.

Red Square on the UDub campus, especially if Mt. Rainier is out.

And while Husky Stadium is a dump, the in both directions from the upper decks is outstanding, as long as you're not looking at what is happening on the field.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't recommend this one enough. Me and Cadet and SC and dreunc and Serve and Moddy (and Queen) and Joe spent a long, long while in this one. Go downstairs and have an Italian soda in the basement coffeehouse.

And after you leave Elliott Bay, go across the street to Ebbets Field Flannels, which sells vintage sports apparel. (www.ebbets.com). Lots of baseball and hockey jerseys/caps/shirts -- which you'll love, WI, judging by most of your avatars! Their business is about 90% online, so they only have a limited selection in the store. (In fact, it's the only store they have in the country.)

Draft saved Draft deleted