1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times "Victory & Ruins" package

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigSleeper, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Both instalments thus far are incredibly disturbing.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Once again, people in Seattle are fed up with losing. They want to fire Ty Willingham because he can't win and they think everything that happened in 2000 was rosy and awesome.

This reveals that everying wasn't rosy and awesome. A lot of stuff this stuff never came to light. If you want to go back to a win-at-all-costs regime and give Willingham the boot, understand that you just might be endorsing this kind of behavior, from your athletic director, your coach and your players. And as Lester pointed out, the elected officials who made these decisions should have to answer for their decisions. That's the most important job of a newspaper.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why has it taken seven-plus years?
    Shouldn't the "most important job of a newspaper" have been done long ago?

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

A lot of the really damning stuff they had on Stevens was from a cop who only recently talked on the subject. There also have been documents that were sealed illegally, like the "decline" order on Stevens' prosecution. I'll agree ... day late and a dollar short, but still compelling and relevant.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK.
    Not being all that familiar with (nor interested in) the situation, I was just asking and I got good answers. Thanks.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I guess printing all of this two weeks before signing day means it didn't happen, in the eyes of Huskies fans.
    If there was ever a case for banning scholarship sports and making everyone play by Division III rules, this is it.
    Enjoy the next few years UCLA. By 2012, you'll be on probation.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'll take the under

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Whatever this is good for, it's sure as hell a nice series on why college sports are no more pure than pro. Anybody in the business knows how dirty it is, but too many civilians have no idea. From reading the comments, this series is shattering a lot of people's delusions and making them very uncomfortable. For that reason alone it is brilliant.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Must have missed it. Did you guys see it?
    Not mentioned in the Seattle Times' story is the nearly $5 million Rick Neuheisel received in his wrongful termination suit against the university.
    Think judges hand out $5 million settlements against State institutions on whims?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Who was the university's lawyer?

Pee Wee Herman?

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Just saying, that's a pretty one-sided look.
    Of course, Slick Rick has fault. But, c'mon...

Draft saved Draft deleted