1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times "Victory & Ruins" package

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigSleeper, Jan 27, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Today, The Seattle Times began a multi-part series examining the "disturbing" backstory of the University of Washington's 2000 Rose Bowl season. Pretty good read.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004147443_rboverview27m0.html

Good luck, UCLA.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Washington made the Rose bowl in 2000, not 2003.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Fixed. Brain fart

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

In a stunning development, a successful college football team is populated by gentlemen of less-than-stellar character, carrying on in the fine tradition of Oklahoma in the '80s, Nebraska in the '90s, Miami for the last 20-odd years, etc., etc., etc.

Jerramy Stevens must be a charmer. He sure has received a helluva lot of second chances.

5. Good read, but I have to imagine that a lot of this was known sooner than later, no? Seven years later is a long time for this stuff to trickle out. Is it just coming out now because Neuheisel got hired by UCLA?

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Is it me or did it end rather abruptly?

7. I got that, too. Could have used more context. It was pretty 'just the facts, ma'am.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The sixty-six wins quote was gold. They could have spun the story around that. But it just ended there and...the analogy I'm going to draw is based in food. It's like going to a restaurant thinking you're going to eat a great meal and instead you leave empty, still hungry.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Well, it is a multi-part series.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I understand it is a multi-part series. And there's more to come. I just didn't like how the first installment ended.

11. Simon

Simon Active Member

Why are they bringing this up now? All the story on Stevens is going to do is bring up bad memories for the woman he raped and the other people he has treated horribly.

12. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Why now?

Because some UW fans are looking longingly at the Neuheisel era, forgetting that winning that way is part of what got them into the mess they're in now.

Draft saved Draft deleted