1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times to cut work force by 10%

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wallace, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Wallace

Wallace Guest

More cuts for the Times...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2008345566_webtimes03m.html

Additional cuts hinted at as well. Best of luck to anyone over in Times land.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Re: Seattle Times to cut 10% of work force

Damn.

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

10 percent is a good news figure, actually. I've heard as many as 30 percent could get lopped in the newsroom, and the desk is expected to get hit hard.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Shit. That sucks.

5. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

About 45 out of approx. 200 are going to be leaving the newsroom.

6. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I have numerous friends in that newsroom and I just want to wish all of them the best in this difficult time.

7. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

I second that. I hate seeing a great paper and even better people go through this horrible ordeal.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Especially the sports section. Haven't they been through enough? The Sonics leave, the Mariners, Huskies, Cougars and Seahawks vie for suckiest team in Washington (and it's a toss-up). Really - hang tough Times-ers. Hopin' things work out well.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, more gloom. {/blue}

good luck, folks. i hope you find another profession and leave this sinking ship behind.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The Suits probably already have said, "Hmmm....the Sonics left, that's worth cutting two writing and one editing job."

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Probably, Fran The Man?

I'm thinking The Suits knew of Clay Bennett's plans to move the franchise and were gleefully rubbing their hands, thinking of the cost-savings in discarded journalists, even before the news of the Sonics' relocation ran in their own damn paper.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

From the PNW Guild blog, the list of buyouts/cuts:

officially, the names of buyouts and/or layoffs aren't out yet, but I know some folks who were on the "maybe" list were being told starting today ... I know for sure of one sports writer and one photographer (who was brilliant with sports) who took the buyouts, but haven't caught wind of others yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted