1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times -- Sounders reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jun 16, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

http://apsportseditors.org/jobs-internships/seattle-times-seeks-sounders-reporter/

The Seattle Times is a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, recognized as one of the best in the country. At The Seattle Times, your work matters. We are a family-owned-and-operated company; dedicated to the community we serve. The Times is a drug-free workplace and equal opportunity employer. Learn more about our company at seattletimescompany.com.
    The Seattle Times seeks a reporter to cover Sounders FC and soccer in Seattle, including the Reign FC, on multiple platforms and set the agenda for discussion and news on a high-profile and competitive beat. Applicants should have daily newspaper and digital experience. Must have good overall sports knowledge, with expertise in soccer essential and experience covering soccer preferred. Must be able to find interesting angles from games on deadline, cover breaking news, and also write profiles and enterprise on Sounders and MLS. Must be able to thrive on multiple platforms, including blogs, Twitter and other social media, as well as video, podcasts and live chats.

Minimum Requirements:
    • College degree.
    • Digital and daily newspaper experience.
    • Sports knowledge; expertise in soccer.
    Preferred Qualifications:
    • Experience covering soccer.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

To apply, submit the following materials via our online application, no later than June 22, 2014.

• Cover letter (uploaded to your application as an attachment)
    • Resume (uploaded to your application as an attachment)
    • Names of three references familiar with your work (with at least one reference being a former manager or supervisor)
    • Five samples of your reporting work, preferably attached as a Word or PDF file. You are welcome to use URLs to link to your clips, provided the content is not behind a paywall. To do so, collect the URLs in a single Word document and upload it when prompted.

You are limited to submitting 3 attachments (cover letter, work samples, etc.), but one file may contain multiple links or work samples. After completing the online application, choose the "Edit Your Profile" option to submit your attachments.

Please note: file size limit is 4MB (4,000KB)

Online Application URL: https://rn22.ultipro.com/SEA1004/jobboard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=98

2. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Having been to a couple of games, it's fun to see what the fan base is like. Sounders are currently top of the table. Just being a soccer fan, I have tossed my name into this hat. I'm sure there will be plenty doing the same.

3. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

Good luck, Valpo! Would definitely be a fun beat for someone with a love for the game.

4. kkoczwara

kkoczwara Member

Anyone know if they will look for people from out of state with a lot of soccer reporting experience? I applied and would love a shot at this, but don't know if being on another coast hurts my chances.

5. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I can't speak for the hiring managers, but I would doubt they disqualify candidates for applying from outside the state. Obviously you would move to the area if offered the position.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's been mentioned around here for many years: Just apply. All they can say is no. But they can't say yes if you don't. And the fact it was put on the APSE site shows they'll look at all applicants.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I would expect they will get some applicants with significant experience from various places, including some with MLS experience.

That said, if it interests you, by all means apply. You never know what can happen as things shake down.

8. kkoczwara

kkoczwara Member

Thanks everyone. I was planning on applying, but was wondering if I should be ready for early disappointment. I have four years of MLS/USMNT/Soccer reporting under my belt on top of other things. Seattle is a dream spot for a soccer reporter these days and would be an upgrade on the kinds of freelance work in Mass right now with no paper really dedicating time to cover the team or the sport here.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Look, not every job is going to pan out. Even if you feel you're the "perfect" candidate.

It's a two-way street. So apply, but know there are probably at least 100 others who are also applying who have the same dreams/aspirations. My experience has taught me that when I apply, if I feel I'm perfect for the job, great, but zero expectations until I get a phone call/email.

Downgrade the expectations. It's less stress and if it happens, then so much the better. It's tough out there. Good luck to all.

10. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I think people in their 20s -- it's amazing how much more soccer-literate people just five years younger than me are -- would have a shot at this. A hip sport in a hip town for hip youths.

11. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I think you can link the growth of soccer's popularity to parents pulling kids out if youth football. I remember reading that parents are picking soccer instead because of the likelihood of concussions suffered by young players.

Soccer might not just be a hip sport if that trend continues.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

At least until people figure out that repeatedly heading a ball, particularly at a young age, isn't all that great for the ol' noggin either.

Draft saved Draft deleted