1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times seeks sports designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark McTyre, Apr 11, 2007.

1. carrie

carrie Active Member

Quit giving McTyre shit, people.

Quick question - why does everyone try to slam every job opening because of the "failings" of the business? It's a job! At a great paper! In a big city! And for a designer, at a section that wins SND recognition year in, year out!

Some of you really need to grow the fuck up.

2. I agree with you. Fucking paper with the help of its designers/graphics artists took home a Pulitzer not that long ago with that kick ass package on Boeing. It was unbelievable. If you can get this job take it.

Added: Boeing was 10 years ago (designers/graphic designers got their name included as winners), but this paper is constantly among the finalists for Pulitzers ...

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Like Nuke LaLoosh wanting to start the batter off with heat, I guess Carrie's determined to announce her presence with authority . . . . . . . .

4. carrie

carrie Active Member

I know McTyre and his work and it just fucking pisses me off to watch people bash shit for no reason.

Newsflash: EVERY paper is going to have buyouts/layoffs/attrition sooner rather than later.
    A novel idea? At least try to play for one of the big boys in a nice, big city instead of pissing and moaning in the shitbox you're in.

5. Carnevale

Carnevale New Member

Carrie -- if you are referring to what I wrote, slow down a minute and read again. No one was bashing McTyre.
    They do a good job of design there, you can see it in the portfolio links. The point was this: working for someone who just paid their rival over $20 million and had court documents show the publisher was essentially skimming from a joint account, seemingly should give people pause.
    That said, they do a good job, the paper is not going to close, and this would definitely be a good job for someone.
    So, settle down Beavis.

6. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Carnevale, if the job is gonna pay well and is a step up for someone, and the JOA accounting practices have been amended, who the fuck cares about what you're saying? They're gonna get their paycheck and get to produce top-notch stuff. It's a helluva job no matter how much "take heed" warning you give.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

But isn't the point of these job threads to present all the "facts" (used loosely) on the table so that when or if you want to apply, you can feed off of the tips/advice/"facts" that are presented here??

I see carnevale's note as simply that, a footnote about the job.

8. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Unless it's a management job, what does what happened up top matter to a designer? Especially if the problem has been addressed and apparently corrected?

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Maybe some people care about the inner-workings of the business in case there is a trickle-down effect in the future.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, then they're thinking too doggone much.

Carrie, as usual, is spot on.

11. Carnevale

Carnevale New Member

I apologize for not swearing multiple times and -- gasp! -- "thinking". I know it makes my posts boring.
    Regardless, the financial solvency of a company is something people applying need to be aware of.

I'll predict this: This position gets frozen and never fills. I hope I'm wrong.

12. Mark McTyre

Mark McTyre New Member

Well, folks, I'm glad to see our job opening has created such a stir and that most of you out there consider us a great place to work. I would tend to agree.

If anyone has any questions concerning the position itself, PM me and I'll try to answer them the best I can.

Mark

Draft saved Draft deleted