1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times or Seattle P-I?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blandcanyon, Aug 7, 2006.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

As reporters, I'll take the Times. As people, I'll take the PI. In reality, I don't take either.

As for the 'gonian, they're an interesting crew. The sports coverage is good (not great, but good), but they don't have a lot to draw from, either. I'm a bit of a Canzano fangirl, though.

In the greater Seattle area, the prevailing view seems to be that the PI will go under, it's a matter of when, not if. I'd love to see them both stay around though.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

By my count, you are a newbie too, Mr. Foul Mouthed Petty.

3. area313code

area313code Member

Hey... Petty...

The Oregonian has won four Pulitzers since 1999.

In the same time frame...

The Times: 0

The PI: 2 (both in cartoons)

Tacoma: 0

Olympia: 0

Fucking rook.

I prefer the Times special sections, but if you're looking for great journalism let's not get sucked up in marketsize and number of teams. I work in LA. It ain't the best shop in the country.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think the word used was rookie.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

F'in rook? ... i thought we were talking sports.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

not angry lester, just to the point.

as far as news alone goes, yes, the oregonian is solid, very solid.

as far as the trib is concerned, i believe 'piece of shit' was used when describing the way they handled the brame case. other than that, i don't believe i ever said it was anything other than solid ... although it once was better.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yes, I know. Couldn't resist.

8. area313code

area313code Member

Well, shiiiit. That's all you had to say.

The papers in the Northwest have some great writers. Times. PI. Oregonian. There's a lot of hidden talent up there.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hate to disappoint code, don't know what the hell you were looking for.

as far as the PNW goes, i believe it has as many good papers per "paper capita" as anywhere in the country. i mean, i say the oregonian sports section sucks ... yet as far as the rest of the country goes, it's not all that damned bad.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I love the P-I, Thiel is great as are some of the other writers there. Farnsworth is one of the nicest people I have ever met.

Lester, Jim Moore?? Really?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

May I ask why you bumped a 2 1/2-year-old thread?

Anyway, Jim Moore is a pretty good read - plus Lester Bangs is a Washington State fan.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I just enjoyed reflecting on a time when TP was considered a "foul-mouthed newbie" ... instead of a "foul-mouthed veteran."

Draft saved Draft deleted