1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times cutting 200 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

at some point in time, we need to realize there "ain't no" good fight remaining in this business.

and trust me, the buzz fades after awhile.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's the list posted on the Seattle Guild's page:

Also, the suburban bureaus are being closed and everybody in the North and East bureaus are being shitcanned.

And it gets even better ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

Speaking of the Seattle Times, a few years ago they made a big noise about buying a bunch of Maine papers. Never mind.

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/023900.html

I can guarantee that JRC is not in a buying mood, but who is?

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

"While this is difficult news, it is important to note that the Seattle Times Company and the brands we represent remain market leaders."

This would be like the Florida Marlins saying they are still contenders after trading away all of their superstars. (either time)

5. VJ

VJ Member

It's pretty easy to be a market leader when you have a JOA and no real competition. It's critical that cities with a legit 2+ papers (Chicago, DC, NY, LA) stay that way, because once you drop down to one it's a lot easier to cut 20% or whatever of your workforce and remain a "market leader".

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Moderator1 ---

Just wondering -- how hard was it to make the jump you made? And what was the most important thing you needed to get across in the interview to convince them you could make the jump?

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As I've said, I'll help put out a product for my paper's subscribers...even if that number is in the single digits.

8. jackandcoke

jackandcoke Member

Uh, I'd consider Seattle P-I real competition for the Times (even with the JOA), particularly after this bloodletting. But I agree with your point.

Regardless, it's a sad day for those involved, the industry and a great newspaper town.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The most surprising thing about this is that it didn't happen earlier. The Times did an insane amount of hiring in the earlier part of this decade and has been losing money for years.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

The final number (for the moment): 125. Fifty-two people left voluntarily (51 took buyout offers), 73 got punted, and all that's in addition to 60 open positions that will never be filled.

Nineteen people accepted buyouts in the newsroom. Fifteen newsroom employees were laid off, including (as previously noted) most of the suburban bureau people.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004404677_timescuts10.html

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No offense to her, but you wanna save some money? Don't have a damn spokeswoman for a newspaper.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Reminds me of an old SNL Weekend Update crack...someone was "reporting" massive layoffs somewhere. the punchline was: "A spokesperson said 'Are you hiring?'"

Draft saved Draft deleted