1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times cutting 200 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 7, 2008.

1. VJ

VJ Member

These multi-year paid internships are the biggest scam ever. Not only will we pay you dick, not give you benefits and expect you to work as hard as a full-time employee, but we'll also lay you off at the first sign of trouble. Sign me up!

2. VJ

VJ Member

There are dozens of papers that offer them, I've seen them primarily for page designers but there are plenty of writing ones as well. They're garbage. Just find a job with a smaller paper where you can at least be a full-time employee. No one who's worked at a paper for three years should be considered an intern. It's insulting.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think the Post has a stable of them, too. They "hired" a few youngsters (very good ones) a couple of years ago and I thought they were all full-time hires. Turns out they were two-year interns.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Heartbreaking.

Devastating.

I love this business.

I really hate this business.

Shit.

5. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

Knight-Ridder used to have something like that. In sports it was a two-year deal, often they would move you to two or three K-R papers. From what I understand at many of the papers it was geared toward minorities. I knew of at least two people who were offered full-time desk jobs out of these. Jenni Carlson (white), the columnist in Oklahoma City, did this in Kansas City, I believe.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This is the line I use, at least until the first clause doesn't apply anymore:

I love my job, but I hate the business of this business.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

how many of us will still be working for newspapers in a year?

in five years?

in 10 years?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, I got a head start.
    I still feel bad about bailing, for some odd reason. I love my new job, I'm way less stressed, I have more money. And I don't have that much longer in the working world (I hope). Had to do it.
    Yet I still feel bad.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Newspapers are a drug, man. We gotta feed the addiction.

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

survivors of deadly plane crashes feel the same sense of guilt :)

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Moddy,

The bad - guilty, by any other name - feelings fade, in time. Often at the urging of those left behind. It sucks to say since I'm a big believer in the "old guys/gals help the young guys/gals" teamwork and learning aspect of this profession. But everyone needs to do what is best for themselves and their families.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm going to re-watch the movie "Fearless" but think of Jeff Bridges' character as the survivor of a newspaper staff purging rather than an airline disaster. Might provide some nice context to this bullshee-eeeeee-it!

Draft saved Draft deleted