1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times columnist - filled

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Moddy Pipeline:

I am sorry to inform you that Jerry Brewer is leaving The Courier-Journal to join The Seattle Times as a sports columnist.

Jerry says that he had mixed feelings about leaving his home state, but that the opportunities in one of his favorite cities — a major league city — were too good to turn down.

Jerry’s final column will appear Aug. 2.

2. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

Say what you want about Brewer -- and it'll certainly be said on this board -- but he gets to work and, if he's smart, learn from one of the best in Steve Kelley.

3. udubwazzu

udubwazzu New Member

You can't be serious. Since when is Steve Kelley "one of the best?" What sort of criteria are you using? His columns are as bland as stale oatmeal. I hope Brewer can inject a little more punch into the Times' columns than Kelley has provided in his long (too long?) stint there.

4. boots

boots New Member

Brewer's move is a loss for the C-J. Another blow that Louisville and Gannett didn't need. However, he will do well in Seattle.

5. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

"say what you want?"

does brewer get ripped on this board? Not sure why... that guy can write like crazy.

6. What does get said about JB on SJ?
    I'll say that he's a great guy and a pretty darn good columnist. He'll do well in Seattle and this is a great move for him. God knows where the C-J will go to find his replacement. It's not too likely they'll promote somebody like Brian Bennett (although he'd be a solid choice).

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Brewer is one of those young fucking studs mizzou keeps talking about.

Good luck, Jerry.

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Just for the record, how long did this columnist search last? More than one year? (Really, I just can't remember.)

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I believe predecessor Blaine Newnham has been retired for at least a year and Les Carpenter, who also wrote some columns, has been adios for quite some time as well.

10. carrie

carrie Active Member

Way to go, Brew.

11. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

Brewer was a star before, during and after I met him.

Lynn

12. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

yes, this is true.
    brewer was discovered writing stories about the eagles when he worked for the philly inquirer.

Draft saved Draft deleted