1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Storm To Fox: What About Us?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 4, 2014.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Okay, 2012 Pickerington Central and 2008 Newark. Two games I covered in which I was flabbergasted I was watching state finalists. They wouldn't play Ohio State's women's team to a single-digit loss, let alone an WNBA team.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That has always been a stupid debate point for stupid talk-radio people anyway. Whether they would beat the men is irrelevant. You don't tune out the NCAA men's tournament because the winner would get stomped by the Bobcats, do you?

What I am saying is the WNBA might not be even the highest level of women's basketball in this country.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

That's ridiculous - you have more experienced players who played well in college plus international stars.

This reminds me of when people say a state championship high school team could beat a weak Division I college team. Anyone who says that doesn't know what they are talking about.

4. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I just covered a game involving Berea-Midpark, a decent Division I team with one loss. It is a top 10 team in Ohio DI. It starts a 6-11 center and a very quick and physical point guard, with 6-6 (with handles) off the bench. There are eight players on its roster 6-2 or taller, including five at 6-5 or taller. A WNBA team could not physically match up with this team, which plays above the rim.

Take the George Jr. Republic team from 2001, the Pennsylvania small-school state runner-up. Their starting lineup went 6-11 center (BJ Grove, played at Cincinnati), 6-8 PF, 6-6 SF, 6-1 SG and 6-6 PG. They would dominate any WNBA team, simply because of the size and strength, as well as leaping ability.

We stop the presses and throw a party when a WNBA player sneaks a dunk in over the front of the rim...George Jr. would throw 10+ dunks down a game. Physically there is no comparison.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Looking at the roster of the Minnesota Lynx -- which is a league-best 26-8 -- I don't see it. Maya Moore is there, but it appears UConn would have a noticeable size advantage (try finding that kind of role reversal in your HS-to-DI example). I also don't think the WNBA has enough of a year-long training program to make these players much better than they were when they left college. Doesn't seem like it the few times I have watched, anyway, and fitness has always been an issue with the WNBA.

The years Moore was at UConn, I bet they would have been favored.

Draft saved Draft deleted