1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Storm To Fox: What About Us?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No problem if Joe says "men's sports."

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the late '90s, during the Philly championship drought, when the Philadelphia Phantoms (the Flyers' minor-league associate at the time) tried selling tickets based on them "ending the drought" by winning the trifling Calder Cup.

Um, no.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Is the WNBA the top women's professional league in the world? I really don't know.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There's no problem with the way Joe said it.

5. poindexter

That's an excellent point. Its not a slam dunk that the NBA, NHL and MLB champs are the "World Champs", let alone women's basketball.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also reminds me of when Brooklyn got a New York-Penn League franchise, and the boasts were of how it was the first time in 40 years that Brooklyn had professional baseball.

Well, yeah, they're getting paid alright. Somehow, though, Jackie Robinson wasn't walking through that door.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet for the NBA and MLB.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Which is more plodding, WNBA or MLS?

9. poindexter

I could argue that, especially the MLB, it *isn't* a safe bet. But even if its most likely, its also pretty damn presumptuous. JMO>

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What league is better? Isn't that the criteria we're going on here?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't even know if the WNBA champion could regularly beat UConn.

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I guarantee you it could not beat the Ohio Athletic Association Division I state boys champion...pick any year. Had this argument all the time with a female colleague...I claimed the WNBA champion could not beat a top-notch high school boys team. She was flabbergasted. I remain convinced I was right.

Draft saved Draft deleted